What are You Cooking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Fired up the smoker made me a smoke pouch of hickory chips.Smoked a small chicken whole,baked beans and baked potato.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On this lovely Saturday afternoon, I'm making poultry stock using the bones from our last turkey, which were in the freezer, and the remains of the rotisserie chicken we had for dinner these past two evenings. I put the bones in a large pot, fill it with water, add chopped celery and parsley, then add dried cracked rosemary, sage, thyme, and some sweet curry powder. I added about 2 Tbs. leftover lemon juice in order to use it, and because I've heard that it helps leach calcium out of the bones. I don't know if that is true, but the lemon mingles nicely with other flavors.

I'm not sure if I will freeze it all or keep some out for soup. Our weather seems to have shot from late winter to early summer.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I make my own chicken stock all the time, and parsnips are a must for it!

BakerAunt
          Participant

I don't think that I've ever cooked a parsnip, or even eaten one. I'll have to do some research.

Dinner tonight is a sheet pan dinner with roasted chicken legs and cut-up yellow potatoes. I rubbed the potatoes with olive oil and drizzled a bit on the chicken. Then I sprinkled everything with no-salt poultry seasoning, added a dash of salt and some freshly ground pepper, then sprinkled some sweet curry on top. We will have it with steamed broccoli. I made enough chicken and potatoes for a second meal.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Parsnips are fairly sweet, they add a very distinct flavor to chicken stock. Just peel them, dice them up a bit and throw them in the pot.

Other than using them in chicken stock, I've not made parsnips, and I'm not sure if I've had them at restaurants, though some chefs use parsnip mash as a substitute for mashed potatoes.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had a pepper steak stir fry for supper. It was a bit dull because I was out of water chestnuts and Chinese bead molasses. (I think the regional suppliers have stopped carrying the latter, I'm going to try the Asian groceries next week, then maybe try to order it online.)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.