What are you Cooking the Week of April 24, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of April 24, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Hot weather is coming, it was 80 here the last two days but will be in the low 60's today.

Not quite time to break out the summertime menu.

The first of the Farmers Markets in the area opens today.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I have beef for stroganoff simmering on the stove, and will make a green salad to go with it.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had tuna salad sandwiches and pork-n-beans.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making a meatloaf.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Our farmers' market goes throughout the winter. Some vendors have greenhouses, and I favor one who has great spinach, kale, and lettuce. She also supplied all of my non-pumpkin squash, garlic, and red onions. The other produce vendor, who also does breads, favors microgreens, and we just do not use then. However, he has great onions. I am eagerly awaiting his asparagus. We have a vendor for pork and one for beef who are also year around, and I used that company for stew beef twice this winter.

We have had two really warm days, with a good little rain this afternoon. A cold snap is supposed to set in, with freeze over the next couple of days.

For Sunday dinner, I roasted eight chicken thighs on silicone racks, so that the fat would run off into the parchment-lined pan for easy cleaning. I paired the chicken with rigatoni from semolina flour tossed with a sauce made of sliced mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, then dusted with some flour before adding some leftover half and half., sage, and freshly ground pepper. After the pasta cooked, I added it to the mushrooms but reserved some of the water, which I used to cook broccoli florets for about 2 minutes, before adding them to the pasta, along with some of the water. I had read about that technique for broccoli and pasta in an email today from the Los Angeles Times cooking editor, and it works well.

I also made turkey broth today from bones that have been in the freezer.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a stir fry. Carrots, celery, asparagus, kale, mushrooms, a chicken thigh and shrimp. Seasoned with fresh grated ginger, some garlic powder, soy sauce and sesame oil. Had it with rice. It was yummy.

navlys
                Participant

I made Mozzarella baked chicken. I think the onions which I sweated rather than fried were the star of the dish. I had to empty the refrigerator and cabinets and somehow I found the perfect recipe for what I had left.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Today we had pork chops that I fried lightly then took them up and made onion gravy poured this and chops in roaster and cooked for an hour and a half,.with that we had steamed cabbage and rice with the gravy.Good and the pork chops were fork tender.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I made yogurt on Monday. Dinner will be leftovers from yesterday.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had baked fish and a salad.

chocomouse
                        Participant

We grilled salmon with a maple glaze, and had white and red rice, and squash.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had hamburger steaks and fries,nice and easy supper for me.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Left over meatloaf and a salad here.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was leftover roasted chicken thighs, roasted sweet potato chunks, and microwaved frozen peas.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Leftover stroganoff for my husband, and I had a green salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.