What are you cooking the week of April 15, 2018

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of April 15, 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Dinner tonight was baked chicken breasts with a Sauce Chasseur (mushroom, onions, tomato puree, white wine and brown chicken stock, thickened with a little roux), accompanied by a salad.

chocomouse
      Participant

We had liver with sauteed onions, pan fries, and cole slaw.

BakerAunt
        Participant

To go with leftover turkey and steamed green beans (done in the microwave) for Thursday dinner, I made scalloped potatoes, following the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step-by-Step Cook Book (1978), pp. 130-131. This cookbook was an Easter gift from my godfather when I was in graduate school. I don't think that I've made scalloped potatoes before, and I chose this recipe because instead of making a white sauce, the flour is sifted over each of the two layers of potatoes and a bit of onion, then the milk is poured over it all. It baked very well and reminded my husband of the potato casserole he recalls his mother's making. My only change to the recipe was to sprinkle dried chives on top before baking. I will make this recipe again.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

BA, I don't make scalloped potatoes often but when I do, that's how I make them.

Tonight was left over pork roast, fresh green beans and carrots and rice.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight I made hamburger steaks with onions,baked potatoes and salad.I saw a recipe today on one of my cooking sites that said to make your hamburger patties and flour them,then fry till browned on each side,then I added the sliced onions with a cup of beef stock and a pat of butter.In my patties I mixed salt,pepper,worcestershire sauce with a little milk and the patties stayed very moist.The gravy cooked down to a nice sauce.I was pleased.
              The scalloped potatoes sounds good BakerAunt.My aunt use to make a ham and potato casserole that was so good.I think I'll try your recipe one day!

cwcdesign
              Participant

Last night I made a quick falafel recipe from Fine Cooking using canned chickpeas, I added garlic and dried parsley because it had neither. They got sautéed and then briefly baked. The recipe worked well and it’s a definite keeper.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,thickened potatoes with butter and sour cream and left over carrots mixed in with some garden peas.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I fired up the smoker today and smoked a chicken with a rub,made baked beans and baked potato.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Joan, that chicken sounds delicious!

Saturday night dinner was salmon patties, along with leftover scalloped potatoes and steamed broccoli.

chocomouse
                      Participant

For our dinner tonight, I mixed Penzey's Mural of Flavor into ground turkey and cooked turkey burgers on the grill. With it, we had baked potatoes and asparagus. It was so nice to be outside, no snow on the ground, warm, 57*, and beautiful sunshine -- the first nice day in ages. Earlier today I went to a local nursery and bought yellow pansies, a rosemary, and lemon thyme for my herb garden. And then to the summer only ice cream place for a black raspberry soft serve! Spring had finally sprung! I hope the rest of you are also now enjoying good weather!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.