What are you baking the week of September 2, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of September 2, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making Vienna bread today, and probably a batch of Irish peach cake (Irish apple cake using peaches.)

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked the KAF Deep Dark Brownies on Sunday evening. I cut back the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips from 1 cup to about 1/4 cup (30 grams to be precise). This recipe is best if it sits overnight.

My husband has been wanting something chocolate, so I turned to this oil-based brownie. After I cut down the optional chocolate chips--which I've never considered optional, sigh--I calculated that if I cut them into 12 pieces, it's 2.5 grams per piece, which is acceptable.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday, I again baked my new version of Barley-Wheat Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread—a rather fast turnaround, as I just baked two loaves last Thursday. One was intended for the freezer, but I visited a friend in town in her clothing resale shop on Friday morning, and after a long conversation about myriad topics, including the lack of good bread in town, I looked through the clothes and found Levi men’s shorts in my husband’s size and the style he prefers. (These are even hard for me to find new.) She told me to take them home and either bring them back or pay her when I came by again. The shorts fit, so I asked if she would like the $3 or a loaf of the bread. She texted: “Bread, please,” so I took it to her. She texted me yesterday to say that my bread is wonderful, and I definitely should consider selling it. (One topic we had discussed was Farmers’ Market.) I promised my husband that if I bartered away one of his loaves (Grape Nuts Bread, especially this new version) is his favorite), I would bake it again, and we went through our one loaf quickly.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I grew up in a small town (population 1200 then, more like 800 today) that had as many as 3 grocery stores. Today there are none, just a convenience store/gas station that seems to me to have a somewhat larger than usual section of groceries. I think the nearest real grocery store is 15 miles away.

Two of our neighbors raised vegetables and sold them at roadside stands in the summer and fall, another baked bread and cookies that she sold to a regular clientele. Our neighbor across the street at times ran a roadside hamburger stand, when she wasn't running one of the two restaurants in town.

The farmers markets here are too big and have too many procedures, rules and limitations, but if I lived in a small town I'd think about baking for a local farmer's market at least occasionally.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Our farmers' market ends in October, although there has been some discussion about a monthly winter market. I had considered baking for the FM this summer, but repeated delays from our contractor have left us unrenovated. That will change. We asked our architect to recommend another contractor, and we are awaiting his bid. We have high hopes of a start in November--and I really hope that the snow will delay its arrival during the time part of the house is opened.

The baked goods at our FM consist of whatever the Amish family brings, as well as a lady that does muffins, and another who does cinnamon rolls for the Tuesday market (now ended for the season). There is a baker who brings pastries from his place outside Chicago for an occasional stint at the Saturday market. I'm thinking that scones, small Bundt cakes, and some breads might be my niche. Indiana's cottage food law does allow vendors to take orders online, but the baked goods must be delivered at the market, if it comes from an "uninspected kitchen."

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made up some oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookie dough, portioned it out and froze it (baked a few for "quality control"). I'll be baking them either Friday or Saturday to bring to our block party on Saturday. They're calling for rain but hopefully it will hold off until late.

skeptic7
                Participant

I made Spinach Pizza on Sunday. Today I did blueberry-oatmeal scones early before it got too hot.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I baked chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, about 5 dozen in total. I baked them 2 sheets at a time using the convection bake mode, something I normally don't do. They turned out pretty good. I also baked 2 dozen cupcakes (from a box mix) and will frost them tomorrow. It's all for tomorrow's block party.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The block party sounds like fun, Len. I'm sure your treats will be a hit.

It rained most of the day here, so I spent much of my time in the kitchen. I made pizza Margherita for Friday dinner and experimented with the sourdough crust again. My intent was to make a more whole grain version than last time (durum flour and semolina were featured then). I made the following changes to the KAF sourdough pizza crust recipe: Add ½ tsp. honey to water and let the yeast proof. Instead of 2 ½ cups KAF AP flour, I used1 ½ cups whole wheat, ¼ cup semolina, ¼ cup dark rye, and ½ cup KAF AP. I reduced the salt from 1 tsp. to ¾ tsp.

I mixed the dough with the flat beater. I tried to knead it, but the small amount of dough was stubborn and would not gather around the kneading hook, so I did a lot of scraping with the speed on 2. I finally kneaded it by hand for 2 minutes, then placed it in an olive oil-coated bowl to rise for about three hours. For the second rise, the dough needed about an hour and 20 minutes after it had been fitted into the pan. I put too many tomatoes on it (that happens when there is a bumper crop), so the crust was a bit soggy, particularly in the center. It is an ok crust, but my husband and I prefer the crust I made last time, so I need to work out how to make it more whole grain. I also think it needs some olive oil in the crust.

After I fed my sourdough, I decided to use the fed starter in a bread. My current low saturated fat diet has required being more thoughtful and creative about desserts and afternoon tea treats. I baked the KAF Nutty-Fruity Sourdough, which is on their site, and which was also featured in Sift (Fall 2017), p. 46. It let me use 1 ½ cups of the dried fruit that I won’t be baking into scones any time soon. It uses some pumpernickel flour, which I have on hand. After reading comments on the site, I substituted in a cup of whole wheat flour for that much AP. I added 2 Tbs. of flax meal as well. I proofed the yeast with ¼ tsp. honey. I cut the salt in half, so I used ¾ tsp. I needed an additional ¼ cup of flour and used whole wheat. I initially mixed the water, proofed yeast, and the whole grains, then let them hydrate for 15 minutes, before adding the AP flour. I think the King Arthur people try to streamline, but with whole grains, it really does help to allow them to soak up liquid. The first rise was about 2 hours; the second, just an hour. I baked it in my Emile Henry long baker, and I brushed the top with an egg yolk mixed with some water. (The original recipe says an egg, but I had the egg yolk left from another recipe.) I baked in the covered baker for 10 minutes at 425F, then reduced the temperature to 375F for 20 minutes before removing the top. The bread needed another 15 minutes to register 200F. (I had forgotten to move the oven shelf down, as I usually do when using the long baker.) It did not have much, if any, oven spring, but it looks like the size depicted in the photo. I will report tomorrow on taste and texture.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Fresh tomatoes are often too juicy for pizza. If you concasse them (remove the skin and seeds, leaving just the pulp) that helps, but sometimes even then I will drain the tomatoes on a paper towel for a few minutes.

The easiest way to concasse a tomato is to start by dumping it in boiling water for 10-20 seconds then in ice water so the skin peels off easily, then slice it in two along the equator and dig the seeds out with a finger. You can then quarter them if you want smaller pieces, especially if the tomatoes were big ones.

Sometimes I core the tomato before peeling it, I've never decided if that makes things easier or harder.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thanks, Mike. Oddly enough, there was no problem with the crust the first time that I baked the pizza, but that was a different crust, and I didn't use as many tomatoes.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Just a note to say that the KAF Nutty Fruity Sourdough came out well. It has good texture, even though the whole grains give it a bit of density. Each slice has lots of dried fruit and nuts in it. I'm enjoying it with afternoon tea, and my husband is actually eating it without slathering it in butter-canola spread.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I made whole wheat apple bread on Friday. This is basically a KAF Fresh apple muffin recipe changed to leave out all the sugar. I took it to a party where the hostess is diabetic. There were two cups of chopped fresh apple in the bread which must have added some sugar to the recipe, but since there was no honey, or sugar, or corn syrup the hostess felt free to have a small piece.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.