What are you Baking the Week of October 4, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 4, 2020?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I made the Apple Bundt Cake recipe from I am Baker. It is delicious, although next time I would add another teaspoon of cinnamon. The caramel glaze adds to the flavor, and I poured it on shortly after the cake came out of the oven so it was very hot and the glaze soaked in nicely. It made a medium size bundt and 4 small one (the size that comes 6 'holes' in the pan). The larger one stuck a little in one spot, but that's OK -- Baker's taste test! I would make this again.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Saturday, I pulled more pumpkin out of the freezer and baked a pumpkin cake in my Nordic Ware Baby Pumpkin Cake pan. My starting point was the recipe that came with the pan, but I made some changes. I replaced 2/3 of the AP flour with whole wheat pastry flour. I reduced the sugar from 1 1/3 cups to 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. I reduced the salt from ¾ to ½ tsp. I replaced 1/3 cup butter with ¼ cup canola oil plus enough buttermilk to make 1/3 cup. I added 2 Tbs. BRM milk powder and 1 Tbs. flax meal. Since I was using homemade pumpkin puree, I deleted 1/3 cup water. I also omitted the pecans. I also changed the mixing directions, since if an oil cake is beaten as much as a butter cake would be, it tends to be tougher and drier. I baked it on the third rack up (above center) in my oven.

Instead of 28 minutes, my cake took 45 minutes. That is likely due to the pumpkin puree being more watery, so leaving out the additional water was a good call. The two halves domed a bit more than I would like. I might consider reducing the baking soda from 1 tsp. to ¾ tsp. next time. I cut off the domes and we each had one for dessert tonight. There is plenty of sweetness, so I might further cut the sugar to 1 cup next time. The only spice is cinnamon, so there is just a hint of it, and the pumpkin stars. I will make a glaze and “glue” the top and bottom of the pumpkin together with it for a festive cake for tomorrow’s dessert.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.