What are You Baking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Yesterday I baked a vanilla cake (from a mix) and topped it with chocolate frosting flavored with hazelnut flavoring from The Spice House. I greased the pan and then coated it with hazelnut flour from KAF to give it an added hazelnut kick.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I usually get between 2-5 limes, but given the very hot weather in Texas and the move, I was glad to get this one. They are large, and the one had 1/4 cup of juice, which along with the zest is the exact amount I need for the cookie recipe.

My husband plans to repot it sometime before spring.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Yesterday, I baked a big batch of KAF fudge brownies to take to a party this afternoon and to work at the Lighthouse tomorrow - we are decorating the tree for our open house this coming Saturday.

skeptic7
          Participant

On November 8th, I did two variations on whole wheat apple scones -- one of them was apple raisin and another was apple-walnut. I will be baking with apple themes for quite a while. I bought half a bushel at the farmer's market and then asked a friend to bring more from New York and then bought a couple more different varieties that I didn't already have in my refrigerator. I had bought a book by Tom Burford of 123 interesting and useful apple varieties. This is an amazing book with pictures of many different apples and descriptions of not only the fruit and history but also something of the uses and keeping qualities.
            For example the York apple, which I always thought of as a pie apple was once popular as a dessert apple. It keeps splendidly!

BakerAunt
            Participant

Skeptic: Wow! I wish that I had such access to apples. I do have some Jonathan's in the refrigerator. I hope to bake some into sweet rolls in the coming week.

skeptic7
              Participant

I have "Black Twig", Winesaps, Staymans, Northern Spy, Nittany, Cortland, Crimson Crisp, Empire ( if I didn't eat it ) in my refrigerator and possibly some others. The sellers at the Farmer's market had many varieties and the late fall is the best time for apples. There are a lot of apples at the grocery store like Pink Lady and Jaz and Encore which are still rather uncommon.
                Jonathans are good apples for cooking, I am told. I hope you have good sweet rolls. They are a little too tart for me but many other people like them.
                I bought two "Sheep Nose" apples this fall which were new for me. The first one tasted harsh and green, so I sliced it up and fried it with butter and brown sugar and ate it for breakfast. I waited two weeks and tried the second one and it still tasted green, so I fried it too. It was great that way. The seller later told me that "Sheep Nose" apples were an acquired taste and that the apples were probably completely ripe.
                I was surprised to learn that Winesaps and Staymans are different varieties -- I thought they were color variations . They taste similiar.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.