Home Forums Recipes Milk Chocolate Frosting for Fudgy Brownies by jej

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Milk Chocolate Frosting for Brownies

Submitted by: jej
      Last Updated: 10/24/2008

Milk Chocolate Frosting for Brownies ... covers a 9x13-inch pan of brownies.

Plan on very few leftovers when using this recipe. This frosting is equally good on 'from scratch' or, if time is precious, 'box mix' brownies. Butter, stick or tub margarine all work well. Skim instead of whole milk will cut a few calories without compromising the quality of the product. If desired, carefully, but quickly, sprinkle nuts over all, or only at one end of the frosting, permitting those who must avoid nuts to still enjoy this treat. Brownies topped with this recipe are so fudgy-delicious that nuts may simply be omitted altogether, and not be missed.

1 stick of butter or margarine
      1 1/2 sq. unsweetened baking chocolate (may use 4-1/2 T cocoa + 1-1/2 T margarine --see * below)
      1/3 c. skim milk (whole or other, as desired)
      1 lb. (box) powdered cane sugar, sifted (or unsifted)**
      1 Tbls. vanilla extract
      1/2 - 1 c. broken walnuts or pecans (opt.)***

1. Melting butter & chocolate over v. low heat in a heavy saucepan while brownies are baking. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Set off heat IF brownies are not within 2-3 min. of done.

2. Add milk to melted butter & chocolate about 2-3 min. before brownies are done (or immed. after removing brownies from oven. Cover loosely with metal pan cover or foil). Stir well & bring to a rolling boil. Boil one full minute, stirring const.

3. Remove from heat. Stir in sifted (or unsifted) powdered sugar all at once (see ** below).

4. Beat with electric mixer until frosting is of spreading consistency (begins to hold its shape and begins to lose its shine). As frosting gets thicker, increase the mixer speed to avoid stress on motor. Add and beat in vanilla, continuing to check for spreading consistency, holding shape, and 'loss of shine.'

5. Spread quickly over hot brownies, making swirls on top. Quickly sprinkle nuts (if desired) over part or all of the top before frosting dries. Leave cake pan lid 'ajar' overnight (or for several hours) before cutting. Frosting will become fudge-like - but not dried out - when tightly covered.

6. When completely cold, cut 1-inch squares (these are very rich). Frosting is approximately as thick as most brownies. If making brownie a la mode, cut as desired. A 9x12" pan will cut into 12 large; 15-20 smaller.) Store in air-tight container to avoid drying out.

* If using cocoa, stir, slowly stir some melted margarine into cocoa 'til smooth. Add to pan.

** I almost never sift; but if the sugar is unusually full of hard lumps and needs it, sift before using. With today's packaging, sifting powdered sugar is often unnecessary. The 1# box is accurate, so in it goes. (Rarely do I find white 'sugar lumps' in the finished frosting when I haven't sifted. Of course, if it is for something really special, I'll sift. Also, CANE powdered SUGAR (C&H, Domino, etc.) is highly recommended. (If it doesn't say 'cane' -- it usually isn't. Some generic or 'lesser brands' have not produced the 'milk chocolate' flavor nor the same volume or fudgy consistency or texture for me. Disappointing!)

*** If desired, nuts may be added to the frosting, after it has begun to thicken. Adding the nuts to the
      frosting usually causes it to set up a bit more quickly, so beating time may be lessened -- the 'shine'
      turns dull even more rapidly. It also works well, if adding nuts, to add the vanilla at the same time. If
      the brownies contain nuts, you may not want or need to add any more nuts at all. This frosting is rich!
      I frequently omit the nuts called for in the original recipe, or may sprinkle a few carefully on the surface so they are visible -- some people need to avoid nuts.

****If the frosting sets up too quickly, and it has once or twice for me, you may add a few (2-3) more tablespoonsful of milk, reheat the mixture to soften, then beat again until ready to spread.

ENJOY YOUR BROWNIES!!!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.