What are You Baking the Week of November 12, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 12, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday breakfast, I made a new recipe, "Cornmeal Pancakes," that was on the bag of Bob's Red Mill Coarse Grind cornmeal. Half a recipe was perfect for my husband and me. I will make these again--and not just because I bought a case of four bags of coarse grind cornmeal.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked "Chef Zeb's Hot Milk Cake" from KAF as a cake. I had whole milk leftover from using this recipe for cupcakes. I frosted it with a lemon glaze.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I mixed up the dough for a double recipe of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I'll bake them later this week. Today, I mixed up the levain for Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread. The recipe was in a recent KAF catalog, but it is also on their website. I have a new Emile Henry long bread baker that I will be trying out tomorrow.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-spelt-sourdough-bread-recipe

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added recipe link
          BakerAunt
          Participant

On Tuesday morning, I baked Pumpkin-Oat Muffins with a streusel topping. The muffin recipe was adapted from a Taste of Home recipe, and the topping was from another pumpkin muffin recipe in a an old Pillsbury cook booklet. For some reason, the warm muffins stuck to the muffin papers, although usually I do not have that problem with this brand of muffin papers. Perhaps they will come off more cleanly after the muffins cool completely.

Added Note: Yes, the muffin papers come off almost cleanly when the muffins are at room temperature. I'll make a note to save them for muffins that will be eaten when cooled.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made banana nut muffins Monday night, and updated my recipe a little, adding some details and updating the yield.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Monday, I put together the levain for Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread. I had it mixed up at 5 p.m. It sat all night in the cool house, and at 10:30 on Tuesday, I was ready to use it. I went ahead and proofed the yeast in warm water with a tablespoon of the honey, because I am more comfortable seeing the yeast activate. I then stirred it into the levain, along with the additional tablespoon of honey. I put all of that into the pan of the bread machine, then mixed in the additional spelt a cup of KAF all-purpose flour, and the salt. I put it on the dough cycle. It mixes for 5 minutes, then rests for 5 minutes. As the rest was ending, I added the 2 Tbs. of melted butter. Although the recipe had said 1 to 1 1/2 cups AP flour, I did not need that half cup, although the dough was slightly sticky when the bread machine finished the kneading cycle.

I let it rise in a covered bowl for an hour, then I greased the bottom half of my new Emile Henry long bread baker and liberally coated it with semolina. I formed the dough into a rough oval, then covered it on the mat for 10 minutes. I then shaped it by folding the oval in half lengthwise, sealing the edge with my hand, flattening the oval again, then folding it in half lengthwise again, sealing the edge, then rolling it into a cylinder, which I plopped into the baking dish, at which point I had to do a bit more shaping. I covered it with its domed lid. After an hour, it did not seem to have risen quite enough, so I let it go another 20 minutes but slashed it three times after 15 minutes. I then followed the directions for baking, but I moved the oven shelf down one rung, so that the bottom and the top of the baking dish would be centered in the oven. I followed the directions, although my oven may have been 25F hotter on the first ten minutes, since an oven thermometer showed me that it runs 50F hotter from the lower rack. I adjusted accordingly for the lowered bake time for the next 25 minutes, and the additional 5 minutes with the lid off. I baked to 198F. It's cooling on the rack, and it is a beautiful loaf. My husband asked when we can eat it, and I told him it should be cooled by dinner time.

Here is the Emile Henry Covered Loaf Baker that I used:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/long-covered-baker-glazed

It had been on sale for 20% off, and I had a Baker's Buck coupon, so it was a good deal. I used a recipe that was used in the King Arthur catalog for their 9x5 inch Emile Henry baker. With that 9x5 baker, however, people commented on how it was difficult to turn out the bread since its bottom section had no handles. The long baker has handles on both top and bottom, and I like its shape.

I'll add a note to this post about crumb and taste after dinner tonight.

Added Note: It's a wonderful bread with a chewier crust (did not reach crispy) and some of the larger holes that we like to see in "artisan" breads. I'm amazed that a bread recipe with 4 cups of spelt to 1 cup KAF all-purpose produced such a light interior texture. The levain was certainly a factor, but the dish likely helped as well, as it kept the steam in.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made Vienna bread today, 2 loaves, cut both in half and froze 3 halves, should keep me in Vienna bread for a week or more.

navlys
                  Participant

I am baking Potato Sourdough bread. I would like to make the dough into rolls instead of loaves.. I guess that should be a no-brainer.

Italiancook
                    Participant

I baked 2 loaves of Amish White Bread as posted in Allrecipes. While it was baking, I made egg salad to make sandwiches with the bread for lunch today. Now, I'm waiting for the bread to cool enough to slice it. 3 halves of the bread are for the freezer.

Rascals1
                      Participant

There are several recipes by that name on allrecipes. They sound simple and good.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I would like to make the dough into rolls instead of loaves.. I guess that should be a no-brainer

Yes and no. While nearly any bread dough can be baked as rolls, producing truly superb rolls is a lot more than just dividing the dough into much smaller pieces. You have to play with the baking time and temperature, with shaping, etc. One technique that I haven't experimented with enough is chilling or even freezing the shaped rolls before baking them to produce a firmer crust.

With just 2 of us, I don't make dinner rolls a lot anymore, but I can still visualize the dinner rolls I had in a NYC restaurant over 20 years ago, quite possibly the best bread I've ever eaten!

cwcdesign
                          Participant

On Monday night I made a gluten-free ginger pear cake as a test for our bake sale. One of my friends has a later in life gluten intolerance. So we took a small slice and she took the rest to a group cooking for the sale. I used KAF measure for measure flour. I liked this recipe partly because I didn't have to pull out the stand mixer.
                            The recipe said to bake it for an hour and I baked it for 45 minutes and tested it - the tester came out clean.

As for taste, we thought it needed some ground ginger - it has ripe pear and crystalized ginger - but the texture was a little gooey. I think I should have baked for the full hour - that may be a difference between baking with regular flour and gluten free flour. I am going to make a loaf or 2 with my changes for the sale.

And, I will not be attempting it in the wreath pan, but I have another recipe I've made many times that I'm going to post for Cass to adjust for that pan, after I measure the water in it.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Rascals, below is a link to the Amish White Bread recipe I use. I reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup, but next time, I'm going to try 2 tablespoons. In my kitchen, the rising times are much shorter than suggested in the recipe. The test I use for when it's proofed enough (first rise), is when a gentle finger-tip in the dough stays put. In my oven, the dough rises considerably during baking.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6788/amish-white-bread/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%201

Rascals1
                              Participant

Thank you for posting the link for me.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Rascals and Italiancook I've made this bread before and it's been a favorite recipe,love it and it's so easy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.