What are you Baking the Week of May 28, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 28, 2023?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made my peanut butter cookies last night, so no baking plans yet this week.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I just put dough for lemon-lime oatmeal cookies into the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made Cornmeal Pumpernickel Waffles for a later breakfast on Sunday. While my waffles are a delightful holiday treat, I also made them because we are celebrating ten years since we drove to a place outside Detroit and returned with Annie, our Australian Cattle Dog. She is very fond of waffle edges.

Sunday was also a day for a baking experiment. I had a jar of orange marmalade in the pantry, so I decided to make another try at a butter-free version of my Orange Marmalade Oatmeal Crunch Bars, a recipe I adapted from a little Pillsbury booklet (#51), which I used to buy at the grocery years ago. I have posted the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen in its first butter and coconut glory. My first attempt to bake it without butter a couple of years ago was ok but not great. This time I used ½ cup avocado oil plus 2 Tbs. water. I also reduced the shredded coconut to 30g and added ¼ cup each of powdered milk and flax meal. I will try cutting some for dessert tonight.

Update: the bars came out very well, with just the right amount of sweetness, and chewy in texture. To cut them, I had to start each row with a knife on the edge, but then I could use a pizza wheel to cut strips to the other side, where I again employed a knife to finish the cut. I cut the strips easily with a knife.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Corn bread for us today and a blueberry cobbler.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I spent Monday evening after dinner baking. I still have some blood oranges, so I made the Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Blood Orange Glaze. (The glaze will be added tomorrow.) This time I baked it in 6-cup and a 5-cup Bundt pans, so that I can freeze one for later, along with enough juice to make the glaze.

My other baking project was to adapt my oil-based cranberry scone recipe by using frozen blueberries and some lemon zest in place of the cranberries. I baked them in the Nordic Ware scone pan. I will sample one for breakfast tomorrow.

chocomouse
              Participant

I baked Orange Fig and Pecan muffins, with some adaptations. I used dried figs which I soaked for several hours to soften. And I substituted pecan meal for chopped pecans.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I have the flying sponge for semolina bread going and will make peanut butter cookies just before I bake the bread so I only have to heat up the oven once today.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Note: The blueberry scones are excellent. I will be baking that adaptation of my oil-based scones again.

On Saturday, I baked my Blood Orange Yogurt Cake recipe. Although the recipe calls for a loaf pan, which is what I have always used, this time I put the batter into a 6-cup Bundt pan and baked for 40 minutes.

These are the last of the blood oranges, which were not as flavorful this year. I am wondering if it is a new variety, since the citrus crop faces grave challenges in Florida. After baking the cake, I have one blood orange left, which I will grate and juice tomorrow. I will use some of the juice for the glaze and freeze the rest to use on the cake I froze earlier this week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.