What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Those look very good!Thanks Mike.

BakerAunt
      Participant

The cardinal preserves look wonderful, Mike. If only the Nebraska Kitchen site could offer everyone a taste....

I'm hoping for some good local strawberries this year. I was able to get some last year, but only make 4 half-pints of jam because we kept eating the strawberries! After having those, the usual stuff in the supermarket has become unappealing. Last year was actually not a good strawberry year here, so we are hoping for a better one.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

There's a local u-pick berry farm and they've had some tough years lately, but picking berries is a lot of work, so we haven't been there in a while. There are usually a few strawberries at the farmer's markets but usually the small ones and on the expensive side, it'd be tough to get enough to do a batch of jam, much less 3 of them like we did yesterday.

Italiancook
          Participant

Mike, I have the Farm Journal cookbook 1963 with the Cardinal Preserves in it. In the days before I had to leave tomatoes and beans behind, I frequently made their recipe for chili. That's the only thing I've made from that cookbook. It belonged to my mother.

Mike, speaking of chili -- I'm curious -- when Nebraskans have chili with cinnamon rolls, are the cinnamon rolls for dessert, or do they eat the rolls with the chili like a bread?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Most kids dunk the cinnamon roll in the chili. It's not generally heavily frosted, though, and often kind of light on cinnamon, too. I used to think this was just a "Nebraska" thing, but I've seen references to it from other parts of the country, too.

I'm hoping the 3 batches of Cardinal Preserves we made yesterday (my wife did most of the work, with me filling in as needed) will last us a year. It freezes well and is so sugary it lasts several months in the refrigerator.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.