What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019? 2Joan Simpson
    Participant

Those look very good!Thanks Mike.

What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019? 3BakerAunt
    Participant

The cardinal preserves look wonderful, Mike. If only the Nebraska Kitchen site could offer everyone a taste….

I’m hoping for some good local strawberries this year. I was able to get some last year, but only make 4 half-pints of jam because we kept eating the strawberries! After having those, the usual stuff in the supermarket has become unappealing. Last year was actually not a good strawberry year here, so we are hoping for a better one.

What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019? 4Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There’s a local u-pick berry farm and they’ve had some tough years lately, but picking berries is a lot of work, so we haven’t been there in a while. There are usually a few strawberries at the farmer’s markets but usually the small ones and on the expensive side, it’d be tough to get enough to do a batch of jam, much less 3 of them like we did yesterday.

What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019? 5Italiancook
    Participant

Mike, I have the Farm Journal cookbook 1963 with the Cardinal Preserves in it. In the days before I had to leave tomatoes and beans behind, I frequently made their recipe for chili. That’s the only thing I’ve made from that cookbook. It belonged to my mother.

Mike, speaking of chili — I’m curious — when Nebraskans have chili with cinnamon rolls, are the cinnamon rolls for dessert, or do they eat the rolls with the chili like a bread?

What are You Baking the Week of May 12, 2019? 4Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Most kids dunk the cinnamon roll in the chili. It’s not generally heavily frosted, though, and often kind of light on cinnamon, too. I used to think this was just a “Nebraska” thing, but I’ve seen references to it from other parts of the country, too.

I’m hoping the 3 batches of Cardinal Preserves we made yesterday (my wife did most of the work, with me filling in as needed) will last us a year. It freezes well and is so sugary it lasts several months in the refrigerator.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.