What are you Baking the Week of March 3, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 3, 2024?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'll be making peanut butter cookies today, it takes us 2-3 weeks to go through a batch now. Fortunately, they keep fairly well.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

After the chicken and potatoes came out of the oven for dinner, I put Rye Soda Bread, which bakes at the same temperature into the oven. The recipe is from King Arthur and uses equal parts of King Arthur AP, pumpernickel, and Irish Style flour, as well as 3/4 cup Harvest Grains. My only change to the ingredients was reducing the salt from 1 tsp. to ½ tsp., as the recipe requires 1 ½ tsp. baking soda. I made a small change in the mixing directions in that I soaked the Harvest Grains in ¾ cup of the buttermilk for about 5 minutes before mixing all the ingredients together. It has a long baking time of 70 minutes, so it is in the oven now.

Later: 70 minutes was the correct time. I double checked with an instant read thermometer after the cake tester came out clean. It read 200F. I'm looking forward to having it with breakfast tomorrow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Another cartoon for all of us trying to bake a healthier recipe--and yes, I know that margarine is worse for us than butter:

https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/2024/03/05

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

That's a really good cartoon, I'm passing it on to a few people.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I loved the cartoon!

BakerAunt
              Participant

I gave my husband a choice between my Pumpkin Whole Grains Bread or my Whole Wheat Oat Bran Bread, and he chose the latter. So, on Tuesday, I baked three loaves. Two will go into the freezer, and we will start eating the other one tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have a Streusel-Topped Apple Pie in the oven. I'm still using Winesaps we bought in November. I am thinking of using the remaining apples to make more apple butter.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made KAF's "Bake of the Year 2023", the coffeecake recipe with 10 (? or so) variations. The Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake has been on my to-bake list for about a year. We ate some after dinner tonight, and it is delicious. However, I doubt I will ever make it again. There are 4 layers, which is like making 4 separate cakes: the raspberry layer, the cream cheese layer, the crumble layer, and finally the batter - which goes on the bottom. It took me an hour to make (plus 50 minutes to bake), and I had a huge pile of bowls and utensils to wash, plus 2 countertops to scrub. I believe they posted a chocolate version, not sure I'll even look for it, 'cause although I'd love to eat it, I don't want to make it!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Do they call it the 'bake of the year' because it takes a year to clean up afterwards?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

That's a good one, Mike! Recipe developers at the current King Arthur site NEVER have to do their own dishes or their own clean-up! That is what I miss about P.J. and Susan Reid--they did enough baking at home that they were cognizant of the entire process.

We cut into the apple pie at lunch, and Scott and I agreed that it is the most wonderful apple pie that I have baked. It may be that I finally have the baking figured out. I use convection and bake it at 375 F with a foil cover for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another five minutes and brown the streusel.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm baking one loaf of semolina bread, shaped longer than normal so each slice has a small cross section area, meaning fewer carbs. (We use the 50% rule on most breads, weigh it in grams and divide by 2 and that'll be within a few carbs.)

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made maple cookies, using freshly made maple sugar and syrup.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Yesterday I made two loaves of Banana bread, took one when we went to play cards and I have one left for me or whoever wants it.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

It's always good to have a spare loaf of banana bread, Joan.

My husband requested a soft cookie. (He was not thrilled with the crunchiness of the Maple Walnut Biscotti that I last baked.) I baked a double recipe of my Drop Sugar Cookies that use avocado oil instead of butter. I coated them with green sugar, as St. Patrick's Day is a week from tomorrow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.