What are you Baking the week of March 10, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of March 10, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I probably need to make banana muffins today, lots of bananas too brown to eat.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I baked this recipe today from Mom's Recipe Collection from FB and it's a winner for me,loved it and they stayed soft after cooling,I did use butter in place of margarine and only did a half recipe to try them.They are great.The recipe site is by Susan Harder and she lives in Canada,great site.

Chocolate chip cookies
        1 c marg,softened
        2 c brown sugar
        2 eggs
        1 tsp vanilla
        2 c flour
        1 tsp b powder
        1/2 tsp b soda
        2 c oatmeal
        2 c chocolate chips
        mix together marg and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Mix together dry ingred and add to marg mixture. add chocolate chips last. Using a small cookie dough scoop or tsp drop on parchment lined pan. Bake 10-12 min at 350/F or until the edges are slightly browned. Better to have it slightly undercooked than over cooked. Let cool on pan for a few mintes..then move to cooling rack.

Italiancook
        Participant

I plan to make Banana-Cinnamon Muffins this afternoon. I don't know whose recipe it is. Something from online. Usually, the provider of the recipe has their logo on it, but in this case, there's no logo or identifier.

navlys
          Participant

I have two frozen bananas I have to use up. Please let us know how the muffins turned out.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Have you looked at my banana nut muffin recipe? I used to add cinnamon, but I find it just gets in the way. Bananas, pecans, raisins and buttermilk make for a good flavor package.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've got another loaf of the 100% whole wheat bread in autolyse at the moment.

Italiancook
                Participant

navlys, here's a link to the Banana-Cinnamon Muffin recipe. https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/banana-cinnamon-muffins/479aaf26-88aa-47f2-a5c0-3f4448ecdfd4

I Googled to find it. Turns out it's a Betty Crocker recipe. They are quite tasty and soft inside, which is what I prefer. I put the sugar/cinnamon topping on some of them & left some plain. I much prefer the plain-top muffins. The sugar/cinnamon makes a mess while eating, so I resorted to eating it with a fork. Plus, it's a pain-in-the-neck to coat the top of each muffin. I will make these again.

Mike, when I have more time, I'll look up your muffin recipe. I can't use the nuts for medical reasons, but I like the idea of raisins in a muffin. Probably the next time I have past-their-prime bananas I'll try yours.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Sorry to hear you can't handle nuts, I've made the recipe without them, but definitely prefer it with nuts.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I want to make some Irish soda bread for tonight/tomorrow but haven't decided on the recipe yet. I'm leaning towards one that is 3/4 whole wheat flour and includes buttermilk, raisins and walnuts, though I might substitute pecans. Soda bread doesn't keep well, so I'm thinking of cutting the recipe in half.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I fed my sourdough starter on Sunday and made dough for a single recipe of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, and dough for a single recipe of a new variation, Whole Wheat Sourdough Buttermilk-Ranch Crackers. I only had enough Vermont Cheese powder for the single recipe, so I decided to experiment, since a single recipe never lasts long with my husband.

On Tuesday, I baked another batch of seeded crispbread.

On Wednesday, I baked the KAF 100% Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts with Maple Glaze. I used white whole wheat flour. I reduced the sugar in the doughnuts from 1 ¼ to 1 cup. I reduced the boiled cider from ¼ cup to 1 tsp. (that stuff was far too strong when I followed the ¼ cup in the recipe, and it drowned out all other flavors). I reduced the vanilla from 1 ½ to 1 tsp. I cut the salt in half, from 1 tsp. to ½ teaspoon. I mixed these by hand, and I think it gave them a perfect cake doughnut texture. I glazed them the next day. I used the given amount of powdered sugar, but I used 4 Tbs. dark maple syrup instead of 3 Tbs., and I used 1 Tbs. of half and half. The glaze has held up well, and we will have the last two for dessert after Saturday’s dinner.

On Friday afternoon, I baked a loaf of Buttermilk Wheat and Barley Grape Nuts Bread. I substituted in ½ cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup barley flour, and used 2 cups bread flour. I used 1 cup buttermilk to soften the Grape Nuts. I used half special gold yeast and half active yeast (need to use up that bit of special gold). I cut the salt to 1 ¼ tsp. The dough took a little longer to rise both times, which worked out, since we got the call that my computer was ready and could retrieve it during the first rise. The loaf had good oven spring, and we cut into it for lunch on Saturday.

Early on Saturday afternoon, I baked the KAF Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake. I will make the filling and glaze and assemble it tonight. I’m off my game, in that I forgot to soak the cake strips; running them under water at the last minute is not adequate, and I had more doming than I would have liked, so I’ll have to trim one down before I split the two layers. If you are wondering why, with my usually strict adherence to a low-saturated fat eating plan, I am baking such a saturated fat bomb, it is because tomorrow is my husband’s birthday, and it is one of those significant decade birthdays. He pointed out that the two previous decade-turning birthdays had not been so great for him. So, four-layers of chocolaty delight it is, with three layers filled, and a ganache poured over the top and smoothed around the sides. I’m hoping some friends will help us eat it, or that my husband will consent to sharing some of it with the guys working on our house.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Chocolate is good for everything!

Happy Birthday to your husband BakerAunt and I wish him well!

skeptic7
                          Participant

BakerAunt; The chocolate sounds wonderful. Its a gift, that shouldn't count right?

I was too busy to do much cooking but I did a cheese pizza on Friday. Had three types of cheese, mozarella, provolone, and cheddar.
                            I haven't made any Hot Cross Buns yet, it doesn't seem like I have any time. None of the quicker versions taste acceptable so its going to be the full time consuming long rising and kneading version or nothing.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I usually only make Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday. I like the recipe in the KAF Whole Grains book best of the ones I've tried.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.