What are you baking the week of July 7, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of July 7, 2019?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Another warm day coming here, summer has definitely arrived.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday, I baked bread, using what is now my go-to basic recipe. I made it with Harvest Grains—a full cup. I had put in too much water in the past, so I cut it back to ½ cup. I also decreased the honey to 1 Tbs. and used 2 Tbs. olive oil. Grains and seeds used: 1 1/2 cup bread flour; 1 cup whole wheat flour; 1/2 cup dark rye flour; 2 Tbs. wheat bran (need to use up); 2 Tbs. flax meal; 1 cup Harvest Grains. I decided to bake it at 375F, rather than 350F. It took 40 minutes, and I am pleased with the color. I’ll add a note tomorrow about the flavor and texture.

RiversideLen
        Participant

i'm a creature of habit, I made rye/semolina/wheat buns again.

BakerAunt
          Participant

That's a good habit to have, Len. I almost tried the recipe as a bread yesterday but decided I needed to use up some of my harvest grains.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did blueberry scones again yesterday. I thought I might have overbaked it but it came out fine. My "scones" are a whole wheat muffin recipe baked in a cast iron frying pan. I tell everyone they are scones and hit dissenters on the head with the frying pan. This allows me to use whole wheat and oil in my scones. After cheating this way for years, I figured out a way to do whole wheat scones which were more scone like, but this is faster and easier.

BakerAunt
              Participant

What a wonderful idea, Skeptic. I have the Nordic Ware scone pan, which I like a lot for my cranberry scones. I haven't made scones since I had to take most butter out of my diet, but I might try the cranberry scones with oil and use that pan.

On Tuesday morning, I used a KAF recipe for Cranberry Orange Rolls, as I did last year, to make sweet rolls with blueberry pie filling.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cranberry-orange-rolls-recipe

I had a cup frozen from last year when I made pie filling. At that time, I used ½ cup and thought it was too skimpy. I changed the recipe by using half whole wheat flour, adding 2 Tbs. flax meal, using 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of water, and 1/3 cup water instead of orange juice. (I goofed, as it called for 1/4 cup, but no harm done.) I also replaced the 4 Tbs. of butter with 2 ½ Tbs. olive oil. Cass got me thinking about using olive oil with some fruits, and Len did point out the antioxidant benefits. I actually own the baking dish that KAF shows. I will let them cool, then using my own frosting, which we prefer to glaze. I may sprinkle them with red, white, and blue sprinkle mix--what I had intended to do when I had planned these for the 4th of July.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm making Austrian Malt Bread tonight, freeform rather than in a loaf pan, at my wife's request. (She wants the bread to go with the strawberry jam we made a few weeks back, I think.)

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Saturday, I baked in my new Wolf oven for the first time. I baked Len’s Wheat/Rye/Semolina roll recipe as a braided loaf in an 8x4-inch loaf pan. I baked it at 375F for 38 minutes, to 202F. I’m looking forward to cutting into it tomorrow.

I also baked KAF’s Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake. I won’t be using that frosting, however, as this cake is for an “early birthday” for my stepdaughter, who is visiting for a few days. The real star of the cake for her will be the white chocolate cream cheese frosting. I’m trying the frosting with the Neufchatel cream cheese, so let’s hope it works well.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Congrats on the test drive, hope you like the results.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I did a whole wheat rosemary focaccio on Friday night. This is one of my standard recipes but I ended up giving most of it away. I was thinking tomato sandwiches when I made it but decided that a store bought loaf would do better.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

The white-chocolate-butter-cream cheese frosting, with a bit of vanilla worked very well with the Neufchatel cheese. It does not harden as the frosting with the regular cream cheese does, but stays soft. We actually liked it better this way--and we cut down at least a bit of the saturated fat.

I forgot to mention that, in the cake recipe, I replaced 1/2 cup of the 2 cups of AP flour with 1/2 cup barley flour. I didn't use the instant Clearjel or cornstarch. The cake was tender and delicious. I often substitute some barley flour into cakes, and I think it makes the cakes more tender.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.