What are you Baking the Week of July 23, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 23, 2023?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

You could try what I do--stop the mixer, add the flour, take a piece of parchment and wrap it around the bowl as a cover, then start the mixer and let it run for 20 seconds or so, after which flour spills are unlikely. (I picked up this tip in an online class, if that had been the only thing I learned from that class it would have been worth the class fee.)

Why parchment instead of a towel? Well, if for some reason the mixer blade catches the parchment, it just rips. If it were to catch the towel, it'd drag it into the bowl. I've never had it happen, though.

skeptic7
      Participant

I did Japanese Milk Rolls again in the KA stand mixer. This time I made 20 small rolls instead of 10 big ones. Also I knead in dried cranberries in half the dough. The cranberries were a success. I probably put far too many cranberries in and the cranberry rolls are notably smaller and denser. I might do it again with less cranberries and with the cranberry rolls in their own pan so I can let them rise longer before baking.
        The mixer is working great. No overheating or spraying flour. Of course I'm only doing a small batch of dough 3-4 cups of flour or less each time so not a strain on the mixer and fitting easily in the bowl. I might run into problems if I try bigger batches of dough.
        If I wanted to mix larger bread doughs for say 3 loaves of bread, how would I do it? Could I just mix the dough in the mixer, and then knead by hand? Mix the dough and then divide it in half and knead in two batches by machine? I am curious as to what other people have done.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.