What are you Baking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Janiebakes I just added the syrup not anything else.

skeptic7
      Participant

I did blueberry scones again from blueberries from the farmer's market. I baked it in a square frying pan so I could cut it up in slices later and warm them up by grilling with butter in a hot frying pan. Horribly decadent and slices are easier to refry then wedges and offer so much more surface to have buttered and toasted. This recipe was nearly healthy with oil instead of butter before I discovered this trick.
        Oh for all you rye and sourdough bakers, is there a way to compensate for lack of sourdough starter. I don't really want to keep one. If I make a starter the day before and let it ferment will this add enough acid? I am looking at this recipe. If I make the starter with 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast the day before will everything work?

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-rye-dessert-focaccia-recipe

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2020/09/24/sourdough-rye-dessert-focaccia

BakerAunt
        Participant

If you lived near me, Skeptic, I would happily contribute the required starter for the recipe.

I'm not sure that you can get the taste and the rising activity with just a one day start. I thought that somewhere King Arthur had a sourdough workaround. I saw it in some recipe, but at the moment, I cannot recall where.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

When I was testing the recipes for Peter's 'Artisan Breads Every Day' book, I made a wheat starter and I also tried some recipes that you would keep in the fridge for several days, baking a little each day. My experience was that they started to behave and taste a bit like a sourdough by day 4.

Some of the preferements I've made recently start to behave a bit like a sourdough after 18 hours, so my guess is that if you make the preferment at least 24 hours before you want to mix the dough, you'll get reasonable results. No, it still isn't a true Type I sourdough, but it'll have some sour to it.

I've been maintaining a rye starter on and off for a couple of years now, when I want to make some sourdough wheat bread I make up a levain about 24 hours in advance using equal weights of wheat flour and water and 5% (by flour weight) rye starter.

Janiebakes
            Participant

Janiebakes I just added the syrup not anything else.

Thank you Joan.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The presentation we had today at the Johnson & Wales International Bread Symposium was on sourdough and dealt with the process of making a starter, 14 days was the time frame they were studying.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.