What are you Baking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I still want to make those black bean brownies, might not happen until tomorrow, though

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Today I made Walter Sands white bread recipe from KAF, but with modifications. I increased the amount, to make 2 loaves, and used about half whole wheat and half AP flour. I used oil in place of the butter, and added 2 Tbls of flax meal. This makes a nice sandwich loaf which stays fresh for 4-5 days.

Janiebakes
        Participant

I made lemon curd/whipped cream cream puffs today. The lemon curd was made with egg yolks left over from Christmas baking and frozen until today. Hadn't made choix paste in a long time so read up on it from Julia Child's book with the recipes from her early PBS series. I learned again that choix paste is just very thick white sauce with eggs added. She also pointed out that it is very nearly pastry cream, just thin it with milk after all the puffs are piped. Add flavoring, a bit of sugar and you have a pastry cream filling. The only difference between the dough for a savory puff and a sweet one was less salt - a pinch instead of a half teaspoon, and two teaspoons of sugar. They were good enough to eat with no filling at all. I had most of the egg wash leftover after brushing the puffs so I added a pinch of salt and enough flour to make a pasta dough. That is now tucked in the freezer. The filling for the puffs was heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks with the lemon curd folded in. Very good. I was worried that they would get soggy before they were served but found that I actually liked them softened up a bit instead of crisp from the oven.

BakerAunt
          Participant

That is quite a project, Janiebakes. Wow!

To go with leftover soup on Tuesday, I baked cornbread. I used my countertop convection oven, and it did great.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made muffins based on an old recipe from Genius Kitchen (anyone use their recipes? I had not visited the blog for ages, and today I found everything closed down; no blog. I can't find any info when searching the internet. Anyone know anything about this?) It's a nice recipe - oats, whole wheat, brown sugar. It calls for dates, which is why I looked for it in my recipe collection, but at the last minute I used apricots instead of dates. I also did not follow the instructions: just put all the ingredients, wet and dry in a bowl and mix, then use electric mixer on medium to beat until smooth, then add dates. That would make a pretty tough muffin in my opinion! I did the usual: mix the wets, mix the drys, and gently stir them together. They're not overly sweet, and did not dome as much as most of my recipes. But it's a keeper.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Chocomouse, Genius Kitchen, which was originally Recipezaar (that was a Great site with many varied forums) has evolved yet again a few years ago, is now Food dot com. They carried over all the posted recipes so you should be able to find it. If you had the recipe saved, sign in and it should be there under your "saves".

Janiebakes
                Participant

It was not too bad of a project Baker Aunt because the lemon curd was already made. My next project is Gateau Basque from the New York Times Magazine in May. There is actually a museum all about this cake with cooking classes in the town of Sare in the Pyrenees. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1182935-d2712151-Reviews-Le_Musee_du_Gateau_Basque-Sare_Basque_Country_Pyrenees_Atlantiques_Nouvelle_Aqui.html

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Chocomouse: Is this the recipe?

https://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-date-muffins-41014

I might give it a try, but with a little less sugar.

I agree with you that mixers should not be used for muffins.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Thanks, Len, I didn't know that! And yes! BakerAunt - that is the recipe. I did skimp on the sugar, and I soaked the oats only as long as it took me to get the ingredients and supplies gathered. I think it needs a little something -- like ginger with the apricots, which are mild tasting, or lemon with blueberries, cinnamon, etc. I like that they are fairly healthy and not too sweet.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Wednesday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers (aka Baker Aunt's Crackers) from dough I mixed last week.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Today I baked a batch of my burger buns.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made Healthy Oatmeal Cookies, from the Martha Stewart site. It's a small batch (claims it makes 18, I get 16) that uses oil as the fat. Not bad at all.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Today I baked corn bread and a batch of sugar cookies.I replaced the white sugar with brown sugar and added about 3 tablespoons of caro syrup and when they baked they were soft and chewy.I'm taking these to my sister tomorrow.Recipe said I'd get 4 dozen-I got 19 nice size cookies.

Janiebakes
                              Participant

Joan, did you have to adjust the amount of flour in the recipe because of adding the Karo syrup? Chewy sugar cookies sound so good.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We picked blueberries on Monday. On Saturday, I baked a blueberry cobbler, using the recipe from the King Arthur Baking Book, with my changes, which this time included using half barley flour. I was able to bake it in the countertop convection oven, so I did not heat up the kitchen on this hot and very humid day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.