What are you Baking the Week of January 8, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 8, 2023?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any planned (or unplanned) baking?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I pulled my sourdough starter out to feed and do some baking today or tomorrow.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made Blueberry Sour Cream scones with a KABC mix I was gifted at Christmas. Disappointing. Too dry to come together, so I added 3 tablespoons of milk. Flavor is fine. But the dried blueberries are hard as rocks; I'm afraid of breaking a tooth or two. I baked them for 15 minutes, as suggested, and the scones are not overbaked.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Monday, I baked my version of Ken Haedrich's Pumpkin Soda Bread from his cookbook, The Harvest Baker. I had baked it last year for the first time, with changes, and we like it a lot. I replaced 2 ½ cups of the AP flour with King Arthur's Irish Whole Meal Flour and used medium grind Bob's Red Mill cornmeal. I reduced the salt by half. I increased the pumpkin to 7.5 oz. I use part of an egg rather than just the egg yolk. I also replace 4 Tbs. butter with 4 Tbs. olive oil (last year used avocado oil) and add 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I baked the two loaves on a sheet pan, so the rise was not high. They are somewhat like giant drop biscuits. I might try them in 7 or 8-inch cake pans next time. I might also cut the buttermilk back slightly, However, the taste and texture are wonderful.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made two loaves of pumpernickel. I used the dill pickle brine (no cucumbers) that I made with fresh dill 2 weeks ago. It worked fine, so I will make more to have a supply in the fridge.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Finally got the sourdough starter up to par and have my loaf rising now. Trying a new recipe so we'll see how it turns out.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made English muffins today. I used a new (to me) recipe from the Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and they came out great. I'll be using this recipe from now on, although I will try subbing in one cup of whole wheat in place of one of AP.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

This is the recipe I tried and was happy with it.The bread rose on the counter overnight in the pan and I baked it this morning,good crumb, my loaf looks exactly like the photo about 4 inches tall in the middle and tastes really good.I will sub one cup whole wheat for one cup of white next time.

When I got the starter out of the fridge it had hooch on top ,the starter was like modeling clay so I stirred it all back together fed it good it was still sluggish, so I put some in another jar like a half cup and fed it and after 2 feedings it was ready, all bubbly and had doubled.My original jar took some time to get right but after it set out a couple days it went to bubbling good so fed it put back in fridge it rose in the jar overnight..

I do not throw away the discard,I feed it and use it.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made cheddar gougeres to go with our pea soup for dinner. We haven't had them since last winter, and they are especially good tonight. I also made pineapple upside down mini-cakes, using a recipe from Lodge and their cast iron mini-cake pan. They are OK, but not great tasting. The presentation is amazing! The mini-cake wells are about 3/8" bigger than a slice of canned pineapple, so with a maraschino cherry in the middle, and flipped upside down, covered with the brown sugar topping/bottom, they look really nice. The flavor wasn't as good as I expected. Now, I'm thinking -- a brownie dough, on top of hot fudge sauce, with, what else? Orange? Cherries? Raspberry jam?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Joan--I always stir the hooch back into my sourdough starter as well.

On Wednesday, I baked pumpkin biscotti (Skeptic's recipe). I also baked a loaf of Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread in my Emile Henry long baker.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Thursday from dough I made last week.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

https://thefeatherednester.com/sourdough-sandwich-bread/
                            I made another batch of sourdough tried another recipe ,this one doesn't use milk only water and a little oil.It was suppose to be a 9x5 pan but I cut it in half for two 8x4 pans and I have two nice loaves.I used half whole wheat and half bread flour so I'll see how it tastes in the morning.I gave one loaf to my sis in law.I did weigh them after baking they were both over a pound ..like 18 oz. one was 19 oz.I did have to add a little more water as the wheat flour soaked it up.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I was very pleased with the sourdough bread recipe, I really like the smaller loaf and taste was good.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Saturday, I baked oat cakes, which are about the size of a fifty-cent piece and somewhat like a cracker and somewhat like a not that sweet cookie. Both my husband and I enjoy them, either plain or with a bit of jam spread on top.

I also baked my Pumpkin Pecan Bread again, but this time I baked it as a small Bundt cake.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.