What are you Baking the week of January 27, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of January 27, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I may try that whole wheat loaf recipe today, what are you up to?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Today I took a three-hour class on English Muffins at KAF. We made both AP and whole wheat muffins, and crumpets. We dry-fried some and baked some. I learned some interesting bits of information and tips. I"m not that familiar with making these kinds of batter-doughs, with yeast. And the crumpets had both yeast and baking powder. We had some issues with our griddle, and I'm not real pleased with the final product. The baked muffins were very hard and crunchy on the outside. But I'll be making another batch this week, and practice makes perfect - eventually.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Chocomouse--since you mentioned in an earlier thread that you had bought buckwheat flour, you might want to give this English Muffin recipe a try:

It's my favorite, and the one I always make when I want English muffins.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

The only baking I did was a peach cobbler and it was good.I like it better with fresh peaches but the canned ones was fine.

chocomouse
            Participant

Baker Aunt, thanks for bringing that recipe to my attention! I will definitely try it. I like your changes. Yes, cornmeal will burn easily; we used semolina and the instructor also suggested farina. Some participants said semolina is hard to find; I find it at KAF, of course, Bob's Red Mill, and in my regular grocery store. I'd already planned to try buttermilk next time. I'll let you know how it works out, but it may be a while -- so many recipes yields so many muffins!

Today I"m baking a loaf of whole wheat-oatmeal bread and 4 sub buns for meatball sandwiches.

skeptic7
              Participant

Chocomouse; Good luck with your English Muffins! I bake mine, I don't have the patience to stand over several patches watching them cook on the frying pan. I've done white flour and whole wheat and the white flour ones are easier.

chocomouse
                Participant

The muffins we baked in the class ended up very hard, crusty, although the insides were soft. We baked some of the white flour and some of the whole wheat. I have a number of recipes I'll try, including the ones on the KAF website which I have tried in the past, as well as the ones from the class, which are not the same as the recipes on the website. Interesting! We set our griddle for 275, and it took about 8 minutes per side to cook a batch. So, if you have a recipe to make 16 muffins, and space on the griddle for 8 muffins - that is over a half hour of standing and watching! I guess I would plan to have something else to work on in the kitchen at the same time.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've made Peter Reinhart's English Muffins, though not lately, you start them on the griddle in rings and finish them in the oven.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Mike, I would do that too, if the outsides looked well-done, but the internal temp was under 200*. However, it seems foolish to have to heat up the oven for that, and I guess you should preheat it, and just have it hot enough in case you need it? A waste of energy? I usually have to fool around with the griddle setting; if it is too hot, the outside is plenty brown before the inside is done.

skeptic7
                      Participant

The whole batch of 9 English muffins will fit on a cookie sheet and can be baked in the oven in 15 minutes not counting preheating. I don't put a cover on top and mine turn out looking like little mushrooms. I guess if you wanted flat English muffins it would take more work. When I first tried 100% whole wheat all I would do was English muffins, it didn't matter as much if the English muffin was flat or didn't rise very much and it was easier to get something as thin as an English muffin to rise rather than a whole heavy loaf.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made the Crusty Gruyere Loaves from the KAF website for a bookclub meeting tomorrow night. I've made them a number of times, and they are delicious and also impressive looking. This time I cut the filled and rolled dough into 6 pieces for 6 rolls, planning to cut each of the huge rolls into 4ths at the potluck. (most of us are usually on diets and limiting carbs!) I also added chopped green olives to take the flavor up another notch.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Yesterday I made rye burger buns. Today I made Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls from KAF.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Today I tried a new recipe Basic sourdough bread from King Arthur.I've never used so much starter in a recipe it used 2 cups to 2 and a half cups of flour.It called for some yeast but I didn't add that as I wanted true sourdough.So it took longer to rise but that's OK.I started at 8:30am and had it baked at 4:30pm.It was very light in color but done and had good chewy crust and soft inside.Taste was good so I'm happy,only thing is when I formed a log for the 9x5 pan when it rose it split on top but that's OK too.I'll keep working at it.I've tried several recipes and haven't found one I want to say will be my go to recipe.I slashed it on top but I don't think it rose enough as it was just over the top of the pan.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.