What are you Baking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

The shortbread bar I want to make is Millionaire shortbread which is shortbread with caramel with chocolate on top. Maybe it was the inspiration for KitKats. When it is good it is great. It's made it over to the US but I had it in Scotland in 1999 (first trip there with my then girlfriend Kate!). Now it's easy to find recipes. I think they used to use it as an enticement to have kids eat their haggis.

Made regular sandwich bread yesterday. I've stopped working on batards and gone back to pan loaves. And I cut the time down from three days to one to try and tame the sour which most of my family doesn't like.

PanLoafNaturalStarter-small01212023

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Re-reading about the acid...

Is that why milk powder helps? Does it add lactic acid without adding liquid?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Shortbread with caramel and chocolate sounds more like Twix than KitKat.

Milk is slightly acetic so I suspect milk powder is also slightly acetic, but I think it is the milk sugar (lactose), fat (if not fat-free) and possibly some milk protein that makes the bread softer.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.