What are you baking the week of Feb 25, 2018

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of Feb 25, 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Which hot dog bun recipe did you use?

chocomouse
      Participant

I didn't use a recipe - just a standard basic bread formula of a cup of water, plus added a couple of tablespoons to get the right consistency, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, 2 cups of AP and 1 cup of WW flour, a little salt, a tablespoon of sugar. They were fine. I rarely make hot dog buns, and would usually use Moomie's bun recipe, but I was in a hurry.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Moomies makes a good burger bun, but I think it isn't soft enough for a hot dog bun. I wish I could get Chicago-style hot dog buns (with poppy seeds) locally, though the KAF recipe is pretty close. (I can't get Vienna all beef hot dogs here, either.)

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Friday, I have been busy in the kitchen. I fed my sourdough starter and used the discard to make a double recipe of the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers (recipe on this site). I'll bake them in a couple of days, since I think that they are better when the dough rests in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

I also baked Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls, a recipe from Sift (Fall 2015), p. 40, which is also on the KAF website. I first baked it at the end of November. I still had enough Jonathan apples in the refrigerator from fall to make the recipe again. This time, I used half white whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup of flax meal. As before, I used the special gold yeast. I'll glaze them tomorrow morning, and we will have several mornings of nice breakfasts. [Note: This recipe kneads beautifully on the dough cycle in the bread machine, which gives you a chance to start making the filling, so that it will be cool by the time the first rise is finished.]

My final project was to make the levain for the recipe for Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread, another recipe that I first tried last fall. It's on the KAF website and was also in one of their fall catalogs. I'll bake it tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

On Saturday, I baked the Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread, from the KAF website, in my Emile Henry long baker. I had some issues with rising, probably because the house was cool today but not cool enough to start a fire in the woodstove before evening. I don't think that I got as much rise as when I first baked it last fall. (I am now threatening to buy a bread proofer.) It should still make nice sandwiches.

luvpyrpom
              Participant

This week I did a bit more baking - dug up an old recipe for Finnish rye bread (it was given to me by a coworker over 20 yrs ago) made only half recipe and baked it in my Dutch oven to give it a nicer artisan look. Also made KAF sourdough buns w/almond schmear with no icing, KAF 12-grain raisin sourdough loaves (I guess they no longer have the recipe online as they don't have the main ingredient - 12 grain flour) and I had substituted the grain flour with harvest grains. Also made ATK popovers to try to use up some milk and had them for lunch. Today I wanted to try to convert the KAF Sourdough cinnamon raisin bread into a vegan style - substituted the butter with vegan butter, added 2 tbsp potato flour instead of the one egg and just didn't brush the dough before putting the cinnamon filling down. I thought I would melt the vegan butter to brush it on but I couldn't tolerate the smell after melting it. Totally off-putting. Will be cutting a slice later tonight to see how it turned out.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've been reading about baking this week more than baking, specifically "The Art of French Pastry", by Jacquy Pfeiffer, co-founder of The French Pastry School in Chicago. Next week I'm probably going to spend a day (or maybe two) practicing with choux paste.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I look forward to your experiments, Mike.

My Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread came out somewhat dry, so a lack of humidity may have been a factor. The taste is good.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We spent about 2 hours practicing piping choux paste in pastry school, and I was TERRIBLE at it. Part of the problem is that I have trouble holding the bags the way they taught it because of arthritis. And I wound up with too many tails. The book uses a slightly different technique. (I may also try switching hands, using my dominant right hand at the bottom of the bag rather than at the top. I was trying that the last time I piped anything and it seemed to work better for me.)

I'm also going to try it using some Wilton bag clips. Also, the book says to use a slightly smaller tip than the one we used in pastry school (3/8" versus what I think was either 7/16" or 1/2".)

cwcdesign
                      Participant

I tried a recipe for Rory’s scones, originally created by the Allen family of Ballymaloe. I tried halving the recipe, but I didn’t realize how small the scones were. They are small, savory ones to go with soups or salad - an Irish biscuit so to speak.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.