What are you Baking the week of December 6, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of December 6, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Speaking of ovens, I keep reading that there's a shortage of appliances because of Covid. Because of manufacturing close-downs and lockdowns and difficulty securing foreign-made parts. Even new home builders are having trouble obtaining appliances for their homes.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Italian cook I have a cousin that has a new home and are waiting on appliances also.

BakerAunt
        Participant

The Pompanusuc Porridge bread is an excellent soft bread. I was eating slices plain at lunch--that's how good it is. One change I forgot to mention is that I used whole wheat flour rather than white whole wheat. I'm glad that I have enough of the uncooked porridge to make more loaves of bread, as KABC has it listed as "sold out for the season."

Italiancook
          Participant

I ran into their "sold out for the season" sign yesterday. My husband enjoys store-bought Panettone at this time of year. Because of the pandemic, he's not going to the store that sells it. I wanted to buy him the Panettone mix from KABC, which they have in stock. I needed to buy the paper pan to bake it in, but those are "sold out for the season." Apparently, I didn't come up with idea soon enough.

RiversideLen
            Participant

There is a large appliance seller in Chicagoland, Abt, they were on the local news a little while back, they said the pandemic has caused their sales to increase by a lot. I was able to get a small chest freezer from them earlier in the year but it took about 6 weeks. But at least they let me order it and wait, other sellers like Best Buy and Home Depot simply listed theirs as "sold out" and wouldn't let you get on a waiting list.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Tuesday night’s dinner was sourdough pan pizza topped with my own sauce from the freezer, Canadian bacon, low-fat mozzarella; mushrooms, green onion tops from the container my husband is growing in a pot on the enclosed porch, and grated Parmesan.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I made a loaf of cinnamon bread today from KAF I added an egg and didn't have dry milk so I subbed all fresh milk for the water. My loaf turned out really well and the swirl was perfect,I had 2 slices for my snack tonight.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Congratulations on your perfect swirl, Joan. I'd sure like to have 2 slices for my nighttime snack.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I wound up buying a small chest freezer at a Sams Club (in Omaha, the Lincoln stores didn't have it in stock) when our SubZero upright freezer needed servicing last spring, at this point I still have some of the things that were in the upright in the chest freezer, I've been using things up and the chest freezer will eventually be dedicated mostly to baking needs.

I may need to order a 25 or 50 pound bag of medium rye flour at some point when I resume rye baking, most of it will also go in the freezer. (I've found that the 62 ounce candy jars for things like M&M's make great flour storage containers for freezing, they stack well.)

I've got cataract surgery scheduled for late January and mid-February, I'm limiting my kitchen experiments for now because reading a new recipe is really hard.

skeptic7
                      Participant

BakerAunt;
                        Have you eaten the Porridge as Porridge? What was that like?
                        Its nearly Xmas and I'm not ready to do any seasonal baking. I'm thinking about maple oatmeal bread, and pumpkin biscotti and apple bread which seem more like November than December recipes.
                        I did cheese pizza yesterday.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Skeptic--I had a little of the porridge the first time I made the bread. I found it very sticky--almost gooey. It could have been my cooking. This time I simmered it uncovered for the five minutes. It was still goopy, but since I was using it only for bread, I stirred in the buttermilk (thus bringing down the porridge temperature before combining it with the other ingredients), and that took care of any sticking in the pan.

I plan to stick with my steel-cut oats and use the porridge strictly for bread, especially as it is more expensive.

I haven't started any Christmas baking either, although I baked pumpkin muffins last week in Christmas muffin cups. I'm thinking of baking a half recipe of Pfeffernusse and limiting myself to one or two per day. Shortbread, alas is out of the question. I'm planning Lucia Buns for Dec. 13.

Here's a little Cathy comedy about baking holiday cookies in advance:

https://www.gocomics.com/cathy-commiserations/2020/12/04

skeptic7
                          Participant

Has anyone made any Springele (sp), I received a rolling pin and a soft mat as presents. I'm assuming that these are meant to be used together.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Skeptic--I've made the faux springele recipe from King Arthur. I tried making real springel some years ago without the Bakers' Ammonia. They were very hard, which may be normal, and I did not much care for them. That recipe came from a magazine.

I made a great--no butter--gingerbread cookie with springele molds last year. The recipe is probably at the House on a Hill website. They make springele molds but no longer sell them directlt.

I'm not sure about the mat, as that was not something I had to use.

I am pretty sure that there is a recipe or two here at Nebraska Kitchen, I think from Laura.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

We haven’t started Christmas baking either, but we’ve started talking about what we want to make.

This weekend I’m going to make some maple pecan (instead of walnut) biscotti to take to some friend who lent me a book several years ago and I just finished it Sunday.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I made 2 loaves of banana bread today.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.