What are you Baking the Week of August 9, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 9, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

chocomouse, I hope you see this. I made KABC Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Streusel last night. As you suggested, I used the KABC Lemon Juice Powder in the Streusel. I didn't have lemon oil, and the powder was adequate for giving the streusel a nice lemony flavor. I also didn't have candied lemon peel and didn't want to take the time to make it. I substituted an equal amount of chopped walnuts for the candied peel. Worked out great.

Making this was a calamity of errors. I mixed up the cake directions with the streusel directions. So I softened 2 tablespoons too much butter in the microwave. After I was mixing the streusel, I glanced at recipe and discovered it was only to have 6 tablespoons butter, not 8. I was able to pull out about 2 tablespoons butter & all was saved . . . I thought. But I didn't catch my second mistake at that time.

I halved the streusel recipe, because KABC recipes call for more streusel than I like. That meant I should have used 3 tablespoons butter for the streusel, not the 6 tablespoons! Not one to quit, I decided to fly with it and hope it wouldn't make the coffee cake oily.

Then came the blueberries. I was a few days too late with this recipe; both pints of blueberries had some mold. I threw away the moldy ones and salvaged the good ones. I ended up with a scan 1-1/2 cup blueberries instead of 2 cups. And, lots of hope that I wouldn't make us sick by using such old blueberries.

Back to the streusel. Because it had double the amount of butter, it was a globby mess instead of a streusel. I broke off chunks of it and placed them around the batter. Hoping the butter would melt enough to spread out. It did and my husband didn't even suspect the error. In spite of the problems, the coffee cake is delicious & kept nicely covered with foil until this morning. chocomouse, I didn't use the lemon powder in the batter, as you suggested. I like the product and lemon, but I thought it'd be more lemon than I like if I included it in the batter.

Has anyone worked with the KABC Lime Juice Powder?

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made Moomie's buns today and used buttermilk instead of water as BakerAunt does but mine was heavy and the bottoms browned too much,I forgot to raise my rack so that was my fault.I ate 2 and the trash got the rest...dang it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For Wednesday dinner, I made sourdough pan pizza. I topped it with my home grown, homemade tomato sauce, Canadian bacon, diced mozzarella, sliced mushrooms, two small red bell peppers from our garden, green onion, black olives on my half, and freshly grated Parmesan. It was slightly mushy in the center, probably due to the red bell pepper, but it was delicious, and we have leftovers for tomorrow.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Italian Cook. I did use the KABC lime powder in place of lemon powder in one of their recipes for cupcake-sized Bundt cakes. It did have a nice lime flavor. I still have most of the jar, however. I have a lime tree, so I use the fruit and zest of the limes from it. I'm sorry that I'm not more help.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I haven't seen the lime powder, I've got some of the lemon powder, we find it works well in things like a frosting but it tastes very artificial if you try to use it in something like a lemonade.

Italiancook
              Participant

Joan, so sorry to hear about your Moomie buns. It's disheartening to go to all that work and ingredients' expense just to have to feed the trash.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have also found that Moonie's buns need to be on a higher rack and/or a heavy baking sheet, or the bottoms will get overdone.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday morning, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made up last week. I had planned to bake them on Tuesday, but we were without power until later in the day and it was hot.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We ate the last of the bread for lunch. I baked Len’s Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat—a double recipe made as two 8x4 inch loaves. I use buttermilk and add some special dry milk to increase the calcium. The oven spring made for beautiful loaves. One is for the freezer, and the other we will slice at lunch tomorrow.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I made KABC No-Knead Semolina Bread for the first time. The recipe calls for using a 9" cake pan, which I did. During the last rise, the dough didn't cover the entire bottom of the pan. I baked it anyhow and had very little oven rise. The yeast was fine -- it proofed the way the recipe said it should. I think the pan size is a typo. I think it should be an 8" pan. If I ever make this again, that's what I'll use.

I remember we had a brief discussion about no-knead bread on this site, but I can't recall an answer to this:

Will no-knead breads be smaller in finished size than kneaded bread?

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I don't think no-knead breads are going to have quite as much gluten development as a kneaded bread, and that's likely to result in some decrease in volume. But there are so many factors other than kneading that lead to volume that it may not be that big a difference.

Semolina breads in general seem to be denser than ones made with AP or bread flour, probably due to the gluten in them, I believe semolina is higher in gliadin than glutenin.

I've been making the Austrian Malt bread recipe with 50% semolina lately, and it comes out fairly dense. We like it that way, because it can be sliced quite thin, so I'm not in a big hurry to see if I can improve the loaf volume.

Jeffrey Hamelman's semolina bread seems to be a bit lighter, but it uses a two stage process which may be a major factor.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Italian Cook--I looked for the recipe at the KABC site and did not find it. In fact, I did not find the semolina bread recipe that I have baked in the past, "Golden Semolina Bread," which is technically a no-knead, as the dough is beaten for 3-4 minutes. My notes say it came from the KAF Baker's Catalogue.

The recipe says to put it in a 9-inch pan, but my notes say I used a 7 1/2 inch English-made tartin pan. (Yep, KAF was selling it, and I never made a tartin, but I saw it and decided it would work well for round loaves.) I remember getting a nice, higher loaf.

Here are the ingredients, so we can compare:

1 cup water
                            1/4 tsp. sugar
                            2 tsp. active yeast
                            1 Tbs. olive oil (or garlic oil and pizza dough flavoring--guess what KAF was selling at the time?)
                            1 cup semolina
                            1 tsp. salt
                            1 1/2 cup KAF unbleached flour

It is very close to another Baker's Catalogue recipe (also now gone from the KABC site) for Semolina Rolls, that are wonderful

1 1/4-1 1/2 cups water
                            2 tsp. sugar
                            2 tsp. yeast
                            1 Tbs. o.ive oil
                            2 cups semolina
                            2 Tbs. dry buttermilk powder (must push those products!--I've deleted and used buttermilk for part of the water)
                            3/4-1 cup KAF AP flour
                            1 1/2 tsp. salt (I cut to 1 1/4 tsp.)
                            Optional 1/2 cup grated cheese, and/or red pepper flakes or chili powder, or cumin powder--never used)

These make lovely puffy rolls. The recipe does call for 5-8 minutes of kneading.

I suspect that KABC is "purging recipes," although catalogue or email recipes did not always appear on the site.

Italiancook
                            Participant

BakerAunt, I erred: The full name of the recipe is No-Knead Golden Semolina Bread. I looked, and it's no longer on the site. The ingredients are below:

1 cup lukewarm water
                              1 tablespoon olive oil or garlic oil, plus additional for drizzing
                              2 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor, optional (I didn't use)
                              1 teaspoon salt
                              2 teaspoons instant yeast
                              1-1/2 cups KA Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
                              1 cup semolina
                              2 teaspoons pizza seasoning, optional, for topping (I didn't use)

The recipe I used has no sugar & uses instant yeast instead of active yeast. My husband just brought the bread toasted for me to see, and it makes beautiful toast. Perfect for guests.

Thanks for letting us know the Semolina Rolls recipe is no longer on the site. I planned to print it after seeing the recipe on the back of the semolina package. I'm glad you posted the ingredient list for them.

After reading of your experience, BakerAunt, I will make this again, using the 8" cake pan & using bread flour. A KABC blog says bread and AP flour are interchangeable in bread, and the bread flour will give a higher rise. I believe your 7-1/2" pan is better for this recipe than 8", but I only have 6" & 8" pans.

Thanks, Mike, for your input about no-knead bread. This was the first no-knead bread I've ever made. It does leave me thinking it's better to take the time to knead the dough.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italian Cook--If you use bread flour, you should probably "knead" the dough to develop the gluten. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that bread flour requires more vigorous kneading.

King Arthur AP actually should work quite well for this recipe, as it is 11.7 protein.

Also, if you need me to post the Semolina Buns recipe, I will do so, since it is now off the site, so unless Rottiedogs can find it on the Wayback machine, or someone posted it elsewhere, it would be lost.

rottiedogs
                                Participant

I tried to post the links on the wayback twice for the No Knead bread and the Semolina Rolls recipes and neither post is showing up. I was able to find both recipes. Not sure what I did wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.