What are you Baking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No immediate baking plans here, I've got semolina bread, cinnamon rolls, burger buns and muffins in the freezer that should last me into September.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

No baking for me today, but Will made sourdough biscuits and will be making sourdough bread later today or tomorrow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made wholegrain cornmeal pancakes for breakfast this morning. I do a half recipe of one that Bob's Red Mill once had on a bag of coarse ground cornmeal, which makes enough for the two of us. I replace the AP flour with white whole wheat. I'm not sure that BRM produces the coarse grind cornmeal anymore, but I still have a supply in the freezer.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made 2 loaves of bread with oatmeal, bread flour, barley, rye, onion and flax meal.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I was down to one sammich bun so I made a batch of 8.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

BA, it appears you can still find BRM coarse grind. Here is a search response for it. I've ordered some pastry flour from Vitacost. I'll see how their service is.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thanks, Aaron. I looked at the Vitacost website, and their BRM selection is impressive and reasonably priced. I may give them a try, especially since there is a coupon. The prices seem better than what I have found at Walmart.com

I checked out BRM at our semi-local Kroger. The 5 lb. bags of whole wheat flour were priced ok at $4.99 each (what GM whole wheat flour was selling for at Walmart), but the other products were priced high, probably because they sell lower volume.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I find myself less and less interested in even looking at walmart.com lately, the selection seems meager, the prices aren't great and the last time I ordered from them it never arrived and took several weeks for a refund.

You also cannot depend on walmart.com to know what's in stock at your local walmart, or where to find it in the store. It doesn't help that there's no apparent logical order to how they number their aisles.

And then there's this story about a scam 30TB solid state drive that was available on walmart.com:
                    https://www.vice.com/en/article/akek8e/walmart-30tb-ssd-hard-drive-scam-sd-cards

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I'm with you Mike. Walmart is trying to our Amazon Amazon and has become a "marketplace". There is no oversight. I've seen five pounds of flour for outrageous prices like $50+.

I am also buying less from Amazon for the same reason.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

There was a story a few weeks back about foreign sellers on Amazon, one garlic peeler had something like 24 PAGES of listings, most with the same picture but 'different' sellers, most of them at similar prices.

I've pretty much given up on both Amazon and walmart.com for things like flour. I can get 12 pound bags of KAF AP flour at Costco and 25 pound bags of semolina from places like webstauarant.com

Google searches are getting near useless, too, the first page is full of advertised things that may not even be what you were searching for. I haven't used duck duck go enough to know if they've got the same problem.

But buying local is fraught with problems as well, so many things are out of stock and really expensive if they have them (and you can't trust website 'inventories') and what's 'local' anyway? Is WalMart local?

cwcdesign
                        Participant

We needed same KAF AP, it was $6.99 at HT and $4.49 at Target - neither store had any today. But they both had bread and WWW. Harris Teeter also carries the organic types (up to $8 per bag)

chocomouse
                          Participant

I made the KAF chocolate zucchini cake - delicious! Cocoa, chocolate chips, and chocolate ganache topping.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Chocomouse the chocolate zucchini cake sounds so good!

Today I made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing. I made 2 -8 inch pans with 9 in each .I will take one pan to a friend I'll be visiting tomorrow.The rolls turned out very nice I added an extra egg and a little potato flakes.We had two after supper.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Must bake cinnamon rolls soon....

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

I made bread. Had a good rise then it spread in the oven and is sort of flat. Maybe it was over proofed.

I made it over the course of 24 hours. Normally I do it over three days. I wanted to tame the sour flavor and that worked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.