What are you Baking the week of April 28, 2019

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of April 28, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I might make another Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake today, the one I made for Thursday went over so well there was nothing left by Saturday.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

No baking in this house for at least a week, probably more, as we await the appliance guy and then I'll be out of town. I did make English muffins yesterday, using the griddle.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We were out of bread, so on Monday morning I baked my half whole grain version of King Arthur’s Rustic Sourdough. I made a levain the night before, using 1 cup of AP flour, 1 cup of my starter, and ½ cup warm water. It was nicely bubbly the next morning, so I cut the yeast from 2 to 1 ½ tsp. I also cut the salt to 1 ¼ tsp. My wholegrain substitutions were 2 cups Irish Wholemeal flour, ¾ cup dark rye, 2 Tbs. flax meal, and I added 2 Tbs. special dried milk. I proofed the yeast in the remaining 1 cup water with 1 Tbs. of honey instead of sugar. After mixing in the levain, I mixed in the wholegrain flours, then let it sit covered for 20 minutes. I then mixed in the salt with 1 ¾ cups AP flour. I needed about 6 ½ minutes of kneading to get the windowpane. The first rise took 70 minutes. I pre-shaped the loaf, let it sit 5 minutes, then shaped it and put it into my Emile Henry long baker (greased and coated with farina). The second rise took about 50 minutes. I’m still experimenting with times and temperatures on the EH baker. 425F seems a good temperature for this bread. I took the cover off after 23 minutes, but next time, I may leave it on for 30. The bread needed another 23 minutes to get to 202F. It’s a beautiful loaf, and I look forward to cutting into it tomorrow for lunch.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made a new recipe I found on Taste of Home called Country Crust Sourdough.It also used yeast but I only made half recipe and added 2 teaspoons of yeast.The bread was very good and was a full 5 1/2 inches tall .The crumb was good for a sourdough it was very light and tender.I will make this again and will use less yeast and see how it does.It rose very fast.I wanted sourdough but didn't want to wait overnight.It was baked in a 8x4 pan and baked at 375 for 30 minutes and had a beautiful brown crust.I was happy.

I added the recipe to the files.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            • This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

I made some Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat buns.
              I ran out of King Arthur dark rye last week and didn't feel like putting in an order, so I bought a bag of Hodgson Mill rye flour. While the buns look good, I won't know if the change in rye flour has any effect until I have one tomorrow.

IMG_0644

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by RiversideLen.
              • This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by RiversideLen.
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

Looks good RiversideLen!

RiversideLen
                Participant

Thank you, Joan. I decided to post the recipe if anyone is interested. It really is a good burger/sandwich bun.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I saw, and I moved it over to the 'recipes' category. They look great!

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Thanks Mike, I thought I had put it in recipes category. I'll have to pay more attention next time I post a recipe.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

After two days of solid rain, today has been dry—so far. I’ve been craving raisin bran muffins, so I made a batch of six in my large muffin pan, using my regular recipe, but this time I used white whole wheat flour to make them 100% wholegrain. I like the taste and will make them this way again.

My second project was another batch of my cornmeal seeded crispbread. These are my favorite healthy snack cracker.

My third project was the lime Bundt cake recipe I created last year that uses 1 cup of barley flour to 2 cups of AP flour. I decided to bake it because the last of the limes from my tree in the refrigerator drawer were looking a bit sad. They yielded up a nice amount of juice yesterday, but the skin could not be used for zest, so I added ½ tsp. lime oil. That was perhaps a little strong, although not unpleasantly so. I may reduce it to ¼ tsp next time. I'll freeze the rest of the lime juice.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Italiancook
                        Participant

I baked banana muffins today. I almost forgot to put in the bananas! Caught the error at the last minute.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Italian Cook--that reminds me of when my mother made turkey tetrazzini--and forgot to add the turkey.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Since my sourdough starter is up to par today I baked my regular sourdough.Made it up last night covered all night,kneaded this am and have a pretty loaf baked.I'm not cutting it until tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I cut the sourdough bread and was pleased.Much stronger sourdough taste and heavier but that's OK with me.It's all about the taste.I will post this recipe.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I have a question for y'all.I'm out of oil tonight..so if I melt some Crisco will that work just as well.I would think so but I'm asking.I don't like to go out after dark unless necessary.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.