What are you Baking the week of April 28, 2019

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of April 28, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Without know what you'll be using it, it's hard to say, but for things like cooking and frying it should work just fine. I'm not sure I'd use it for an oil-and-vinegar dressing, though.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Mike I'm gonna make more sourdough bread.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

For bread it'll work just fine, Peter Reinhart's marbled rye bread uses a little shortening in it, and I've seen it in other recipes. You don't even need to melt it (and there are probably reasons not to, according to Peter, he thinks adding shortening instead of oil makes his rye bread lighter), unless you don't know how much you need by weight. If you do melt it, let it cool down a bit.

2.23 cups of crisco (1 pound) melts down to 2 cups of oil, so most recipes just say to substitute measure for measure, if the recipe calls for a half cup of oil, use a half cup of crisco. (I always weigh crisco, though, because you get air pockets when you try to measure it out, a cup is about 7.2 ounces.)

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thank you Mike,I don't have a scale but I will just use a half cup.I should have said what I was wanting to use it for in my question,thanks for the quick reply.I won't melt it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Breads are among the more forgiving things in baking, especially enrichment ingredients like sugar and oils. Get the flour-to-water ratio right, use enough leavening and salt, and you'll usually get a good loaf of bread.

Cakes require more precision.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I got it made and it looks and tastes fine,we'll see tomorrow.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.