What are you Baking the Week of April 2, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 2, 2023?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Good Friday, I baked Hot Cross Buns and continued experimenting with this recipe which originated in the Los Angeles Times cooking section about forty years ago, but which I have modified many times. I used more whole wheat flour this time, pairing it with some bread flour, and the rolls came out well. I used golden raisins, but I think they could use a bit of lemon zest or candied lemon peel. I always frost mine rather than making a cross. I tried to use some nonpareils to make a cross, but the glaze had set, so it only worked on the first two, and the rest just have a festive sprinkle.

I had one, and my husband had two for dessert tonight, but they will be breakfast on Saturday and Easter and possibly Easter Monday. Unlike in Mike's neighborhood, our neighbors are mostly non-resident at this time of year.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made a batch of bagels today, that'll be supper. (Corned beef on mine.)

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked a Cherry Streusel Pie on Saturday to have for Easter dessert tomorrow. I used three jars of Morello cherries, which I got from Aldi's. The recipe is my adaptation of the Cherry Lattice Pie in Cook's Illustrated Baking, with the streusel topping from the blueberry streusel pie I adapted. My version, of course, also uses an oil crust. Usually, I bake some kind of Easter cake, but the cherry pie is a treat for my husband.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.