What are you Baking the Week of April 10, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 10, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What's rising?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

With Easter and Passover approaching, it should be an interesting week of baking!

chocomouse
        Participant

Golden Pull Apart Buns.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've already got Thursday blocked out for making several batches of Hot Cross Buns.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked a Pumpkin Snacking Cake for deserts this week.

I'm planning to make my Hot Cross Buns on Wednesday or Thursday.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made maple granola on Tuesday.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made the KAF recipe for Chewy Semolina Rye bread. It made 2 huge 8 x 4" pans plus a 4 x 6" pan.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Wednesday, I baked two loaves of my Pumpkin Rye Whole Wheat Bread.

I also made dough for Hot Cross Buns and shaped them to rise overnight in the refrigerator. I will bake them tomorrow morning.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I baked my Hot Cross Buns this morning and had two for breakfast.

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Thursday. I will bake them next week.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made two batches of Hot Cross Buns today, 6 plates of 8 rolls and 1 of 16 for our next door neighbors and their 4 kids. We'll deliver most of them tomorrow, but I took the big one over to the neighbors this evening.

For icing I made a milk/powdered sugar icing but added a spoonful of softened cream cheese and a tablespoon of butter, just to give it a hint of cream cheese frosting taste. I left out the vanilla.

It pipes easily and seems to be solidifying nicely on the rolls, I'm happy with it.

hot-cross-buns

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Mike your Hot Cross Buns looks nice,I've never made them.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Thanks. I have tried several recipes, but for the last 10 years or so I've been using the recipe in the King Arthur Whole Grains book, using freshly ground whole wheat flour. I find I need to add quite a bit more flour to get a good dough, possibly because freshly ground flour has a higher moisture content than bagged flour, and it takes a really long time during bulk rise, up to 3 hours. It is a little cool here today, so I wound up putting it in the small oven using the proofer cycle (which really only turns on the oven light.) I also increase the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon.

I make the rolls 1.5 ounces each, so I get 32 rolls from each batch, using up any excess on the center roll in each pan, because it needs to fill in the gaps.

We had some with some chili, they're enough like cinnamon rolls that they pair well with it.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Great looking Hot Cross Buns, Mike.

I have been enjoying Cara Cara oranges from the supermarket, although their season is coming to an end. Their flavor is so much better than Navel oranges, and the peel is fragrant. On Saturday, I baked two loaves of my Limpa Bread, which needs good orange peel. We will slice one loaf at Easter dinner, and I will freeze the other. I am still working on this recipe. This time I used 3 1/2 cups BRM dark rye, 1 1/2 cups Clear flour, and 3 cups BRM Artisan Bread flour. I also decided to use the Special Gold yeast, since with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 Tbs. molasses, that is a lot of added sugar. I used 1 tsp. aniseed and 1 tsp. fennel seed, crushing it before adding. The loaves are lovely, with good shape and height.

Since the renovation of our apartment over the garage has dragged, I was not able to dig out my specialty Easter pans, which normally would be stored there. I gave my husband the choice of a vanilla or a chocolate cake, made with blood oranges, and he picked the Chocolate Olive Oil Bundt Cake with Blood Orange Glaze. I baked the cake Saturday evening and will glaze it tomorrow.

mjekk
                              Participant

Last week, 4/14-16, I baked 2 batches of Easter Bread (Hungarian Paska?) My recipe is a combination of one from my Mother and another from my Aunt. I added a Tangzhong starter (3 Tbsp milk, water and 2 Tbsp flour) from King Arthur last year. This year I realized that it was not enough in the 8-10 cups of flour recipe, so I doubled it. Next year, I will increase it again. I also made 2 different Babka recipes from Pinterest as filled Babkas--Cheese, Almond and Chocolate.
                                Thank you, Mike, for starting this forum. It is great to see postings from people on the old Baking Circle. I never posted there much, but I read (and got LOTS of great recipes there). MaryJane (from NJ)

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Glad to have you posting MaryJane!Your breads sound good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.