Vienna Bread Baguettes by Antilope

Home Forums Recipes Vienna Bread Baguettes by Antilope

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This recipe was posted on the now closed King Arthur Baking Circle site by Antilope on June 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm

For me, traditional French baguettes made with only flour, water, salt and yeast dry out too fast, are dry and chewy later and don’t have a good shelf life.
      I prefer Vienna Bread baguettes. They are softer, have more taste and a longer shelf life. These are great split and used for sub sandwiches or hoagie rolls. I also make hamburger buns from this recipe. Here is my Vienna Bread baguette recipe for baguette pans:
      Vienna Bread baguettes
      Makes about 36 oz of Baguette Dough. Enough for 3 – 12 oz (350gm) Baguettes.
      1-1/3 cups (320g) milk
      4 Tbsp (46g) White Granulated Sugar
      2 Tbsp (8g) Powdered Milk or Dry Coffee Creamer
      2 tsp (11.2g) Table Salt
      2-1/2 Tbsp (35g) Olive Oil
      4-1/4 cups (544g) Bread Flour
      2-1/4 tsp (7g) Instant Yeast
      Add Ingredients to bread mixing pan, in the order that
      Ingredients are listed above. Snap pan into Zo Bread Machine.
      Set Bread Machine to Dough Cycle. Press Start.
      Ingredients will be warmed for about 25 minutes before mixing starts.
      When mixing starts, add more water or flour, if needed, to make a
      soft smooth dough, that is not crumbly or too sticky. Add a Tablespoon at a time, if needed.

Dough will mix and knead for 20 minutes and then rise for about 70 minutes.

You can also use a stand mixer (like a Kitchen-aid) and knead the dough for 5 to 8 minutes, and let
      rise for 45 minutes.

When the Bread Machine beeps, and there is zero time left on the display, take out the dough and divide into 3 equal size pieces.

Each piece of Baguette dough should be about 12-oz (350gm) each.

Roll each of the 3 pieces of dough into a sausage shape, about 14-inches long. Try to make them even diameter along their length.

Place each of the 3 pieces of the rolled out dough on the Baguette Baking Pan.

Place the Baguette Baking Pan in the oven, near the center. Mist dough with water.

On the shelf below the baguettes, add a cookie sheet and pour a cup of water in it.

Turn on the oven, at 350-F, for ONLY 2-minutes, to warm the dough. TURN OFF THE OVEN.

Allow the Baguettes to rise for 45 to 60 minutes in the warm oven, with the oven light on, until the dough doubles in size.

Cut three, 1/4 inch deep diagonal slashes, in each baguette and mist dough with water.

Set the oven to 400-F, and Set the timer for 25 to 28 minutes. We are timing from when we turn on the oven.

After 25 to 28 minutes, the baguettes crust should be golden brown and centers should be at least 195-F. Bake a little longer if needed.

Remove from oven. Let cool for about 5-minutes before slicing.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I've done a lot of playing around with this basic recipe, always substituting in some buttermilk and whole wheat flour, flax meal and sometimes rye as well. I usually use honey rather than sugar. It can be baked as a boule or in a 10x5 inch loaf pan or in a "hearth bread" pan. I've also baked it in a 12x4 inch loaf pan. I have an electric oven, so I do not follow the directions for turning on the oven during the second rise but let the bread rise, then put it in a preheated oven. When baking a larger loaf, I preheat the oven to 400F, but I immediately turn it down to 375F right after I put the pan into the oven. I usually bake it to 205F, which gets it a bit dark but delicious.

Rascals1
        Participant

for the 4 tablespoons of sugar how much honey would you use. Thank you

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'd go with 3 tablespoons of honey and probably subtract 1 tablespoon of liquid. Honey is slightly sweeter than table sugar and in liquid form it takes up less space, too.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Hi, Rascals,

I just saw your post. Here is the variation I used the last time I baked this bread:

I preheated the oven to 400F, but turned it down to 375F once the bread was in. I baked for 40 minutes to an internal temperature of 205. That will make the bread a darker color. For a lighter bread, perhaps bake for 35 minutes. I used my hearth pan.

1 cup whole wheat flour
              1/2 cup rye flour
              1 1/2 cups bread flour
              1 1/2 cups AP flour
              2 Tbs. flax meal
              2 Tbs. special dried milk
              2 tsp. salt.

1/2 cup "honey water" (cleaned out a honey jar)--regular water will do
              1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast and 1 tsp. special gold yeast
              3 Tbs. honey
              3 Tbs. unsalted butter
              9 oz. buttermilk

By "honey water," I simply mean that we had a jar with most of the honey scraped out. I save them, and when I bake bread, I put the water in them that I plan to use for proofing the yeast, so that the jar is cleaned out.

You can delete the special dried milk if you like. I'm trying to use it up.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Rascals1
              Participant

Thank you bakeraunt, I just saw your reply. I like it for subs sandwiches. Always like to see what others do and try their versions also.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.