Unusual Mixing Directions for Strawberry Snacking Cake

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Unusual Mixing Directions for Strawberry Snacking Cake

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm signed up for Bon Appetit emails, and while a delete a lot of their recipes, sometimes one interests me and fits my dietary parameters. Strawberry Snacking Cake caught my attention, since it is strawberry season, and cutting most butter out of my life leaves me without strawberry shortcake. Here's the recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/strawberry-snacking-cake

I found the recipe a bit odd in its mixing method. I've not heard about waiting to mix oil in at the end of the recipe. If anyone can explain why the recipe would call for doing it this way, I'd like to know. I decided to use my own mixing method, and to make a few changes in ingredients. I also made a half recipe and baked it in an 8x8-inch pan. Here's what I did:

I prepared 5 oz. strawberries--just in case. That let me use the nicest pieces and eat the irregular ones.

I used canola oil instead of extra-virgin olive oil.

I sprayed the parchment lined pan with Pam olive oil spray, which is what I have in the house.

I replaced the AP flour with white whole wheat (Bob's Red Mill Ivory, which they are no longer selling).

I cut the salt to 1/4 tsp. and added 1 Tbs. BRM powdered milk.

I used two eggs instead of 3 eggs and 2 yolks. If I were to make the 9x13, I'd probably just use 4 eggs.

I didn't have sour cream--another casualty of the low-saturated fat diet, so I used nonfat Chobani Greek plain yogurt.

I used 2 Tbs. lemon juice (half a lemon).

To mix, I stirred together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, I whisked together the oil and the Greek yogurt to create an emulsion. (I'd read this as a tip for my oil-based pie crust, and I've since used it when I do a cake with oil and buttermilk or yogurt.) I then separately whisked in each egg, before the lemon juice, vanilla, and zest. I incorporated the dry ingredients into the wet ones using my cake whisk. (These are so useful; I don't know why they are not readily available.).

I didn't use the strawberry jam, as I didn't want to open a jar, since we currently have peach and black raspberry jams open. After I arranged the strawberries, I cut the sugar sprinkled on top to 1 tsp. I baked the cake for 28 minutes.

It's cooling now. It looks impressive and smells lovely. I'll add a taste review after dessert tonight.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've seen other recipes, including several bread recipes, where you put the oil in last, I'm not sure exactly what that accomplishes. Probably has something to do with not saturating the flour.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Cass told me that for bread, adding the oil at the end prevents it from coating the gluten strands and weakening its strength during the kneading process. I've been using that technique with my yeast breads and pizza crusts with good results. However, I'm less certain as to why it would be used when baking a cake. I'll have to ask Cass.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.