Today (July 19th) is National Hot Dog Day

Home Forums General Discussions Today (July 19th) is National Hot Dog Day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is National Hot Dog Day.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Good to know. I'll have to take a raincheck on it, I have no dogs at the moment.

chocomouse
        Participant

One of my favorite foods is a hot dog roasted (somewhat charred) over an open fire. With plenty of spicy mustard, of course!

navlys
          Participant

Ok hot dogs may be tasty but they are not necessarily good for your body!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I would love a real Chicago dog, but several of the ingredients are not available locally: the dogs themselves, the buns and the dayglow-green relish.

Painting the top of the bun with egg wash, sprinkling poppy seeds on and putting them in the oven at 200 for a few minutes is a pretty close approximation, especially if you steam them just before serving them. The bread itself still isn't quite right, though. Ballpark brand buns are closer than the generic ones, but a lot more expensive.

I'm told adding blue food coloring to ordinary sweet pickle relish will turn it dayglow green, but I haven't tried that.

It's the Vienna natural casing dogs that I can't get. Of the various brands of dogs available locally, Fairbury all-beef dogs are probably the best. We do them under the broiler until they're well-charred.

RiversideLen
              Participant

The Whole Foods 365 brand uncured beef hot dogs are pretty good, my usual. I prefer my dogs char grilled or at least grilled in the toaster oven, and walked through the garden.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Sigh. Like Navlys, I know they are not good for me (saturated fat content), but I do miss them, and would not mind just one good hot dog one of these days, although if I had to choose between a splurge on a hot dog and a splurge on a brat, the brat would win.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Navlys, not to worry! I eat a hot dog on the 4th of July and again at our annual late summer corn roast -- and that's it for the year.

Len, how the heck do you walk a hot dog through a garden? hahaha I guess maybe you drag it through a puddle of zucchini relish?

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Walk through the garden means you load it up with veggies, onion, relish, hot peppers, tomato, pickle etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.