The Unrisen

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls The Unrisen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I had a nightmare that I'd left the yeast out of a batch of bread dough and low and behold, after spending the night in the refrigerator it had no rise.

Any suggestion on what I can do to salvage it?

Thanks

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Give it a try as I did this awhile back not in the fridge over night but add more yeast work it in and see what happens.You'll only be out of a little yeast if it doesn't work.My yeast was old and didn't work ,had to go to town and buy more and my rolls worked fine.Good luck.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks. Will do.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Joan told us about her experience in the February 5, 2017, What are You Baking thread.

Aaron--you are not the first, and you will not be the last, to forget an ingredient. I hope that it works for you. I also hope that tomorrow's Challah bakefest goes well.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Thanks Joan and BA. I really hate to through away four pounds of challah dough because of a penny's worth of yeast. even if it doesn't rise I may try and cook it on the griddle for flat bread!

Now, like Joan I have to go buy more yeast because I ran out.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Similar to Joan's advice, but what I would do is make a sponge. All the yeast the recipe calls for, a half cup of flour and enough water to make a medium batter, cover and let rise at room temp until doubled, then knead into your unrisen dough.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've done this a few times, myself. What I do is to make a yeast slurry, then work it into the dough, adding a little flour if needed to get the dough to firm up again. But usually you want to avoid a lot of additional kneading.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Thanks everyone. This was a no knead recipe to begin with a very soft dough. A little too soft if it's not going to be baked in a pan like in the recipe.

I'll try some yeast and water and then add in some flour and let you all know what happens.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

The challah bake is done. We had a big, raucous group of 7th and 8th graders and we made 26 loaves in about two hours (including second rise and bake time). There were some interesting shapes but everything will be saleable. A few of my balls of dough were still a little frozen but I worked them into logs to be braided for the kids.

The proceeds are going to rebuild a playground that is accessible to all kids including those in wheelchairs. We used to take our kids there weekly before it was closed when it fell into disrepair so this is a good cause. I'll have to see if the teacher took any pictures. I forgot to.

I haven't tried reviving the flat dough yet. I was out of energy by the time I was done making dough yesterday. I'll pull it out of the freezer and try later this week. I want to do it before Wednesday so the kids can sell what I can make from it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Aaron--congratulations on the big Challah bake. In addition to raising money for a good cause, you are teaching young people about baking. Passing on our knowledge of baking to another generation is one of the most important things we can do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.