Temperatures for baking

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Temperatures for baking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

In a recent topic the issue of what temperature quick breads should be baked to.

Here's a link to the Thermopen page on baking temperatures. For quick breads they recommend at least 200.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/bread/baked-good-doneness-temps/

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

Thanks for looking that up! Have you thought of just baking shallower breads? I normally make mine in a cast iron frying pan so perhaps 2 inches high. I've made double batches in a 9x13 pan so also fairly shallow. Not traditional shapes but it cooks completely in half the time or less.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I just printed out a recipe for chocolate buttermilk zucchini cake, made in a 9 x 13 cake pan instead of a loaf pan. It calls for 45 minutes of baking time. I should have two zucchini to pick by Saturday, I'll probably make this one next.

The two I have already made both freeze very well after slicing, a cake might be a little more challenging to cut and freeze

BakerAunt
          Participant

King Arthur still sells a longer, narrower ceramic loaf pan. I never bought it, but I have a variety of longer, narrower loaf pans that work well.

skeptic7
            Participant

I cut my 9x13 quick bread into 3 sections the long way and then slice each section. This gives me quick bread sticks or rather short slices. It freezes nicely and is still a good shape for spreading butter or cream cheese. The slices are very short, but still "slices" instead of "squares".
              This was recommended on a web site and I'll try to find it.

here is the web site
              http://heidimix.blogspot.com/2014/05/quick-bread-for-crowd.html

Italiancook
              Participant

Mike, I appreciate the link you gave us. I printed the chart. I like charts -- I keep them next to my stove so I can easily reach for them when cooking or baking. The first chart you offered at your site that I keep handy is the can number sizes. I've only needed it once, which means I think it's useful. Never know when I'll again need to know how many ounces are in a specific can number. As I type this, it occurs to me that with shrinkflation, the information may be obsolete!

Speaking of shrinkflation: Four months ago and recently, I treated a relative to a Sam's shopping spree. Mike, is this my imagination: It seemed to me on the recent trip that package sizes were smaller, i.e. 6 cans to a pkg. as compared to 8 cans four months ago. It seemed to me that nuts were in the same size container but candy bars were in a smaller package. Could I be dreaming this?

Italiancook
                Participant

skeptic7, your explanation of cutting a long quick bread is helpful to me. Thank you! I never thought of doing that. I like sticks. I cut foccacia into what I call soldiers. Sticks perfect for dipping into all the Italian soups I make. That reminds me:

BakerAunt, you were helpful when I was struggling to master KAF's recipe for foccacia. I did eventually "get" it right but didn't really like the flavor. I found a different foccacia recipe from I-don't-know-where that is thinner, an attribute I like better. I also didn't like its flavor.

It finally dawned in me that it might be I don't like the olive oil I've used for decades. It's the brand my mother-in-law used. The last time my husband went to Costco, I asked him to buy a Kirkland brand olive oil. He said they offer 3 Kirkland brands of it, so he just guessed which one to buy. This week, I made "My Favorite Foccacia" with the Kirkland EVOO, and I like the oil much better.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I think a #10 can is still pretty much the same size, the 'consumer' sizes still seem to be shrinking.

I remember when most cans were 16 ounces, now they're often 13.5 to 15.5, and tuna used to be a 7 or 8 ounce can, now it's maybe 5.

Our Sams has stopped selling mandarin oranges in cans, they only have cases of the small cups, which taste different.

They did bring back artichoke hearts in a big jar, and the Black Diamond cheese spread, but a few other things we often bought at Sams are apparently gone for good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.