Stella Parks on Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Stella Parks on Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I read the recipe because I was interested in how she used oil in them. I take it that the oat slurry is to replace the eggs. Are chocolate chips vegan?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/09/how-to-make-olive-oil-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I'm unsure what vegans do or don't eat, but if they don't use milk, here's what I learned the hard way last week. I had an allergic reaction to my oil-based chocolate chip cookies. I felt shocked. After all, I did not put milk in the cookies! Eventually, it occurred to me to wonder if my brand of bittersweet chocolate chips is made with milk.

I can't find the exact link right now, but I read online that the Ghiradelli Bittersweet chips are made on a line that uses milk. Problem solved, but what a huge disappointment. I can't imagine living forever without a chocolate chip cookie. I don't know what this means about bar chocolate for cooking. Also don't know what it means about Nestle's chocolate chips. I haven't researched either online yet. What I did find out is that there's a chocolate chip product that's milk-free and egg-free and free of some other things. Sorry, but I don't recall the brand name. I think I found it by Googling.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Italiancook.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I think 'Enjoy Life' is one brand of semi-sweet chocolate chips that is certified vegan and prepared in a facility free of contamination from nuts, dairy or gluten.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Hi. You can also look for chocolate that is labeled "pareve". They will have been prepared on equipment that has never been used to prepare anything with dairy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.