Steak prices are going down

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Steak prices are going down

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has a story today that confirms what I've seen locally, steak prices are going down for some cuts. I've seen T-bone, NY Strip and ribeye steaks all at prices under $8 a pound lately. Tenderloin/filet mignon is still around $25 a pound, though.

The WSJ says this is a combination of softening demand for some higher-end cuts of beef and increased labor availability in the packing houses.

I'm also seeing some lower prices for pork product other than bacon, and one of the stores in town had whole chickens at 88 cents/pound last week on a one-day sale.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I bet they sold a lot of chicken that day Mike!Chicken use to be one of the cheapest things you could buy and now when you get a whole chicken you pay 8-9 dollars what use to be 2-3 dollars.

chocomouse
        Participant

No steak under $8 a pound around here!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Most weeks there's been at least one variant on steak on sale here, last week it was NY strip. It looks like it'll be top sirloin starting tomorrow. I haven't done that one on the new grill yet.

The chicken was a one-day sale, no rain checks, and it was all gone by the time I got to the store. But I've got one or two in the freezer so it wasn't a major problem here. My wife gets tired of chicken faster than she does beef.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Are the ranchers selling off their cattle due to the drought?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've seen reports that ranchers are culling their herds to deal with drought and other factors, but I think the WSJ's point was that consumers are bypassing the higher priced cuts for cheaper ones, and the supply chain is lowering the price to get rid of excess inventory of the higher end cuts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.