Starter vs. Slow Rise

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Starter vs. Slow Rise

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

I've not been one to fool with starters most of the time but I always do slow rises usually at least overnight in the refrigerator.

Why use one versus the other?

Thanks

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Bread is a series of trade-offs, time for flavor. There are subtle differences in what happens in a starter (like a biga or a poolish) versus retarded fermentation, there's more enzyme and bacteria action going on in the latter, the longer it sits around the more it starts to develop sourdough-like characteristics. I don't think it would be wrong to say that sourdough is the ultimate in retarded fermentation, as it represents the longest point on the time-for-flavor scale.

Does it make a BIG difference? You'd probably have to run side-by-side tests to see if you can even tell which is which.

When I was testing the baguette recipes for Peter Reinhart's 'Artisan' book, I tried delayed fermentation periods of up to 7 days. (After about 7 days the dough got funky, 1 of 3 test batches had to be tossed out on day 6 because I no longer trusted it.)

After about 4 days, the dough and resulting bread took on characteristics similar to a sourdough, with a slight tang in the taste. I thought the bread was best after about 48 hours of retarded fermentation, my wife and son couldn't detect any significant differences. The dough felt different, though, and I think there were differences in the crust as well.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks Mike.

I haven't tested baguettes but I have tested it with my pizza dough which is pretty simple as it's just flour, water, salt, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. My wife and kids like the dough best when it is between 24 and 48 hours. I once had dough that was only 12 hours old and my wife commented that it tasted flat.The only thing I'd done differently was shorten the rise. If I let it go fro three or more days the family eats it but they are not as happy.

My English muffins are the same way. The recipe I have came from a bread class where we made a bunch of breads in a three hour class so rise times had to be short. I now let it sit at least overnight and the difference is noticeable even to my 13-year old vacuum cleaner who refers to himself as a "speed taster".

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I saw a recipe a while back that had a soaker, a pre-ferment and also called for a cup of sourdough starter. Too complicated for me!

The rules for the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie permit but do not require the contestants to make a biga the day before the competition. I assume most of them do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.