Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

Home Forums Recipes Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

A recipe that dates back to the 1950's, with baking instructions that are unusual, unlike the instructions for any cake I've ever seen. We think the baking times may have had something to do with the age of the recipe and the kitchen it came from, and may not be necessary. It also dirties up a lot of bowls. But the cake is pretty good. (I suspect it was originally made with real sour cream, not the cultured stuff you get in the stores these days, one of these days I want to try it with creme fraiche.)

Yield 1 10x14 cake
      Source

Maxine Dees & Catherine Hillegass/McDonald

Ingredients

3 eggs (room temperature, separated)
      1/2 cup cocoa
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      1 1/2 cups sugar
      1/3 cup shortening
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 scant teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 cup sour cream
      2 1/4 cups cake flour
      1 cup water
      Instructions

Put 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup water in a sauce pan over medium heat, stir to dissolve, then boil until it thickens, 4-5 minutes. Allow to cool.

Cream together 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup shortening, set aside. (This will still be a little grainy.) Set aside.

Measure out 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour, set aside.

Separate 3 room temperature eggs, beat egg yolks with 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

Beat egg whites to firm peaks but not too stiff or dry. Set aside.

Mix 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup water and 1 scant teaspoon of baking soda in a large bowl.

Stir in egg yolks. (Note, the recipe doesn't actually say when to add in the egg yolks, so I did it before adding in the flour.)

Add flour and shortening/sugar to sour cream in 3 parts, alternating adding flour then shorting/sugar.

Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.

Fold in egg whites.

Bake in 10x14 pan that has been greased and floured. (Hint: I use superfine sugar instead of flour when flouring pans for cakes.)

Bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, 250 degrees for 10 minutes, 300 degrees for 10 minutes and 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Cake should pass toothpick test and have pulled away from sides.

Allow to cool completely.

The original recipe card from my mother-in-law doesn't specify a frosting.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.