Rye Bread

Home Forums Recipes Rye Bread

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

This is a recipe I adjusted from a recipe called Old Milwaukee Rye. This is my hands down go to rye. I make it into free form loafs, in a bread pan or usually into sandwich buns. You can't buy sandwich buns like you will get from this. In this recipe I use honey and olive oil, but feel free to use molasses and whatever kind of fat/oil you are happy with.

This recipe uses a starter but don't let that dissuade you, it is easy. Make the starter the day before or up to 3 days ahead of time.

Starter

7.5 ounces by weight medium or dark rye
      10.5 ounces water, room temp
      1.25 teaspoons instant yeast

Mix together in a bowl and cover. Store at room temp for up to three days, it's ready to use the next day

Dough

All of the starter
      10 ounces by weight bread flour
      1 teaspoon salt (you can use up to 1 1/2 tsp)
      2 tablespoons Olive Oil
      2 tablespoons Honey

Procedure

On the day you bake the bread, add the dough ingredients to the starter and mix until it comes together. Cover and let rest at least 20 minutes. Knead for about 10 minutes. Dough should be somewhat sticky and supple, if it is too dry add a little water, teaspoon at a time. tip, it is helpful when handling the dough to have your hands lightly oiled

Put into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.

Preheat oven to 375 with a baking stone on the bottom rack. You can use a sheet pan if you don’t have a stone, no need to preheat the sheet pan. Bread can also be made in a loaf pan.

Shape dough into the kind of loaf you desire. Cover and let rise until about doubled.

Or it can she shaped into sandwich buns, this recipe will yield 9 buns 95-97 grams each prebaked weight. That is a nice sized bun for burgers and other sandwiches.

Let's Bake

Loafs should slashed right before baking and be baked for about 40 minutes at 375 f (ovens vary so use your judgment)

Buns should be baked 15 - 16 minutes at 375 f

Let cool on a cooling rack.

rye-buns‑1

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Molly.heinz
      Participant

Will definetly try this!Thinking of cooking this using breadmaker.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.