Quaker Oatmeal Muffins

Home Forums Recipes Quaker Oatmeal Muffins

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Quaker Oatmeal Muffins

Note: This recipe originally appeared on boxes of Quaker Oats. That recipe used an egg white in the muffins and 1 Tbs. margarine in topping. We now know that egg yolks should be eaten, so I always used a whole egg. We also know that margarine is much worse than butter, so I have made that change. This recipe also appeared in a recipe collection with two alterations, and I have added those as a note at the end. I have made them both ways, and both are wonderful.

1 1/2 cup oats
      1 1/4 cup flour
      3/4 tsp. cinnamon
      1 tsp. baking powder
      3/4 tsp. baking soda

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
      1/2 cup milk
      1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I reduce to 1/3 cup)
      3 Tbs. canola oil
      1 egg white (I use the whole egg)

Topping: 1/4 cup oats
      1 Tbs. brown sugar
      1/8 tsp. cinnamon
      1 Tbs. butter, melted (original recipe used margarine)

Heat oven to 400F. Grease 12 regular muffin cups. (I have also made these as 6 large muffins.)

In large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. In small bowl, combine applesauce, milk, brown sugar, oil, and egg. Add to dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened. Let set for 5 minutes while you combine the topping ingredients.

Fill muffin cups. Sprinkle topping evenly over tops. Bake 20-22 minutes (check at 18 minutes) until deep golden brown. Remove from pan and serve warm. (These are also good at room temperature.)

Note: A variation on this recipe appeared in The Bed and Breakfast Cookbook, compiled by Martha W. Murphy (p. 152), who says it is from Murphy's Bed and Breakfast in Narragansett, Rhode Island. That version reduces the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp., and instead of the oat topping uses a maple glaze after baking.

Maple glaze
      1/2 cup powdered sugar
      1 Tbs. butter, melted
      2 Tbs. maple syrup (only use real maple syrup)

Dip slightly cooled muffin tops in glaze and let rest until glaze sets.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.