Pumpkin-Oat Bran Muffins

Home Forums Recipes Pumpkin-Oat Bran Muffins

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Pumpkin-Oat Bran Muffins
      makes 12 small, regular muffins

This recipe was heavily adapted from one I found posted at Genius Kitchen. The poster said that it came from one of those recipe cards that used to be sent in the mail from companies trying to encourage a subscription to the set. One of my adaptations is to put the measured oat bran into the food processor and process it. That hint came from a suggestion from Linda Greider in The Washington Post (Oct. 12, 2018), and it does produce a moist muffin. I usually add the brown sugar and the powdered milk as well--no lumps!

1 1/2 cups oat bran (process it in a food processor after measuring)
      1/3 cup light brown sugar
      2 Tbs. powdered milk (optional--for added calcium)
      1/2 cup whole wheat flour
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1/4 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. nutmeg
      1/4 tsp. ginger
      dash of cloves
      1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg
      1 cup pumpkin puree
      1/2 cup buttermilk
      2 Tbs. canola oil

Set oven to 425F. Grease 12 standard muffin cups. If you use paper liners, these tend to stick, so spray those with non-stick spray before putting in pan.

Grind oat bran in food processor with powdered milk and brown sugar. (I use my small food processor and do it in two stages.) Move to mixing bowl. Stir in whole wheat flour and the rest of the dry ingredients. In small bowl, whisk the egg. Whisk in the pumpkin, then the buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients, mixing only until moistened. (I use a small Danish dough whisk.)

Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes. Remove muffins immediately from pan to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.