Pain de cristal (glass bread)

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Pain de cristal (glass bread)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've seen several recipes for pain de cristal (glass bread) lately, a very high hydration dough, Jimmy Griffin's youtube page shows him folding some that is 114% hydration. King Arthur has a recipe that is 100% hydration and goes through as many as five stretch and folds to strengthen the dough as it matures.

Probably won't try it during the summer heat wave, but I might try it in a month or two.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I don't think that I could handle such a high hydration dough. If you try it, Mike, I will be reading about it with interest.

cwcdesign
        Participant

King Arthur’s email peaked about this my interest but I do not have the time or the inclination (too hot) to try it right now.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've worked with a few high hydration doughs, Peter Reinhart has a baguette dough that is around 80% hydration as I recall. This one seems like a serious challenge, one I will likely attempt once the weather cools off a bit.

There are some high hydration pizza doughs I've been meaning to try, too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.