Packaging on Fresh Produce

Home Forums General Discussions Packaging on Fresh Produce

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

When broccoli is not being sold locally, we buy it at Aldi's, which packages it on foam trays enclosed in plastic wrap. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of preservative might be added to it. I think most of it ships from California.

I'm asking because I may have had a negative digestive reaction from the broccoli we ate on Wednesday, which I at first thought was due to the chicken and rice dish I made. I had the chicken and rice again tonight and was fine, so I am thinking it may have been the broccoli, as it was similar to what happened six years ago after I had a salad in a restaurant.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Back in the old days (20 years ago when we live in SoCal) produce in grocery stores was picked before it was ripe, bulk shipped to Texas, the processed and packaged and shipped around the country, including back to CA. So all the stuff in the grocery stores was sub-par and we always shopped at farmers markets.

At least according to the farmers. I don't know if that was true then and if it is true today. All I know is local produce at stores was terrible compared to farmers markets back then.

If someone can check an Ald's in CA it will have a label that lists all the ingredients and probably a Prop 65 warning too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.