Old Family Recipies that are not Really Old Family Recipies!

Home Forums General Discussions Old Family Recipies that are not Really Old Family Recipies!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting the link, Mike.

I am a bit puzzled by the author's claim that oats require more salt. She gives the example of morning oatmeal, but I never add salt to my steel-cut oats. There is some sodium in the 1/4 cup of milk that I add.

I baked oat bars yesterday, and as I did, I realized the recipe does not have salt, but that is likely because I replaced the margarine with unsalted butter. However, the recipe does contain coconut, which would have sodium, as well as orange marmalade.

Certainly I know that my shortbread and my sugar cookies are better with at least 1/4 tsp. salt per stick of unsalted butter, and sometimes a bit more. I once made a recipe without realizing that it should use salted butter, and those cookies were not worth the eating.

So, when should we reduce salt, and when should we not?

BakerAunt
      Participant

Re: search engines. I quickly discovered NEVER to use "Bing," as it is all about selling to the user.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

The cowboy cookies are a lot like my oatmeal cookies. I put coconut on top which was my wife's suggestion. I first made them when we were dating and I wanted to make something special for her. Re butter and spreading, I've had good luck chilling the dough to prevent spreading.

Unfortunately Google is as ad driven as Bing. if you look at Googles sources of revenue that is where they make their money. I used to use a search called Dog Pile that was pretty close to ad free but even they have some now. I may try using them again to see. If you are not charging people for your services then you have to make money a different way. Or, as my software friends say, when the product is free you are the product.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.