New England Mittens

Home Forums General Discussions New England Mittens

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

To all New Englanders;
      I just got a book "Ultimate Mittens" by Robin Hansen which talks about interesting mittens found in New England. These are marvelous mittens and most of them have long histories in the area.
      The author is more an anthropologist than a knitter. Have any of you made or used particularly warm mittens? In Virginia its too warm for particularly warm winter gear. I once made a double layer hat and had to send it to a friend in the Midwest.
      Do you think there will be any need in the future for traditional wool mittens in New England as everything is getting warmer? Some of the mittens have wool linings and others are tightly knit in multiple colors to be especially warm

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I never got past the single knitting stitch, so my efforts are cross stitch and needlework. However, when I read your post, I thought of Senator Bernie Sanders at the presidential inauguration wearing that great pair of mittens. I'll bet they were lined like the ones you mention. The mittens were later auctioned off for charity after becoming a meme.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

BA, Skeptic, Senator Sanders mittens were indeed lined. The woman who made them went to high school with a friend of ours here in CT so we had the inside scoop. Her mitten business on Etsy went through the roof for a while. Not sure where it is now.

I like the flip-top mittens that turn into fingerless gloves. The only problem is I can only find knit ones and I need a pair that are water proof, especially for snow removal.

skeptic7
          Participant

Aaron, where do you live? A wool mitten should keep your hands warm even when wet. I can't verify this in person as I normally use wool gloves in the winter and just come back in when my hands get cold.
            I'll look up Bernie Sanders' mittens and see if there is a pattern available or more information. Thanks

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Hi Skeptic. I live in CT. And you are right. Wool generally insulates when wet. But convertible mittens leave then ends of fingers exposed and then they become cold while working. It might happen with waterproof mittens anyway. I just don't like wet hands.

kimbob
              Participant

I'm a knitter and my friend and I were just discussing the topic of it not getting very cold anymore. I knit myself a warm sweater last year and never wore it because the winter was so mild. I've knit tons of hats, mittens, scarves, shawls, sweaters and a few pairs of socks. I'm in the Mid Hudson Valley and it used to get very cold and snow alot but not anymore. I hope we get snow this winter!!

skeptic7
                Participant

@Aaron
                  I've seen convertible mittens that have a glove underneath, not bare fingers. Maybe you will have to look for one of those. Another idea is to layer and layer; thin gloves, thick mittens, and then waterproof over mittens. I've see skiers with mittens that look like cloth bags.

@Kimbob

I've had friends in Virginia who tried knitting Icelandic Lopi sweaters and could only think of wearing them a couple weeks a year

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.