Muesli Bread recipe

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Muesli Bread recipe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

As I sorted through recipes, I came upon this one for Muesli Bread:

When I looked at the other side of the page, I found that I learned about the recipe on the King Arthur Baking Circle, and I had printed some of the comments from Sept. 28, 2013 and October 1, 2013.. Robin Waban had first posted about it, although I do not know if she tried baking it. Frick thought that the fruit and nuts had sunk and wondered if the dough had too much liquid. Frick thought the baker's percentage, not counting the honey was 69.46% but was unsure because she said "I don't think well when a recipe is stated in grams," and she did not know if the cereal should be counted.

Antilope then used a website to do the conversions into cups and tsp. He also converted the fresh yeast to active yeast (3 1/2 tsp.)

The final comment was from kaf-sub-rius, who said that he has had the problem of fruit dropping [in other recipes] and remedied it in part by making the dough a little drier. He thought based on the picture, since it is not easy to tell without touching the dough, that making it a bit drier would not change much but the suspension of the fruit.

I miss all of these bakers and wish that they had joined us here at Nebraska Kitchen.

I find this recipe intriguing. Note that the flour is 375 g wheat flour (type 1050). I googled that information and learned that is flour with 13-14.5% gluten. (I assume that is protein.)

Bob's Red Mill Artisan flour is 12-14%.
      King Arthur Bread Flour is 12.7 %
      King Arthur's high-gluten flour is 14.7%
      Bob's Whole Wheat flour is 13%

If I baked it, I would try substituting in some dark rye (or pumpernickel) and wheat flour. (The only white bread I bake these days are the Rosetta rolls.) I also wonder if the fruit and nut issue is the result of not getting them mixed because of kneading them in at the end by hand. I think that the bread machine could handle the dough, and it is pretty good at combining fruits and nuts added at the end.

This bread may be a future bake for me. It would be nice to serve to September visitors. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.