Memorial Day Tribute in Our Small Town

Home Forums Member News Memorial Day Tribute in Our Small Town

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

This will take you to three gorgeous pictures taken by a local photographer...flags of local veterans flown all around our courthouse square:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1087052304710480&set=pcb.1087052788043765&type=3&theater

Click the pics to make full size. Use side arrows to see all of them.

The flags are all burial flags given to a veteran's family at the cemetery. Our local VFW bought a trailer to store the flags so they are ready for display at Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day. Friends and family bought the flag poles and ground sockets. Each pole has the name of the veteran who died.

A classmate and neighbor of mine got all the lighting done a few years ago. He died in a tragic accident this past Jan. so his flag is flying there now.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by S_Wirth.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by S_Wirth.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Thank you Swirth for posting the link and reminding us of the significance of Memorial Day.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It's days like today that I miss living in a small town. Memorial Day was a big celebration, there would be a parade with a couple of marching bands, we'd all walk over to the cemetery for a memorial service with "Taps".

The members of the marching bands got a free treat at my grandfather's drug store soda fountain afterwards, so my brothers and I would work behind the counter for an hour or so to handle the traffic. My grandfather would close the store at noon, and we'd pile in his car for the drive out to the cabin my grandfather had outside of town, have lunch, and spend an afternoon getting the cabin ready for the summer.

The professional politicians have control over the Memorial Day activities in Lincoln, I don't know anybody who attends other than maybe the families of those who died in the services, and probably not most of those.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          S_Wirth
          Participant

My dad received two purple hearts for war injuries in the Battle of the Bulge in Germany. I think there are around 230 flags on display now. There is always a nice gathering at our courthouse square's Memorial Arch. There are so many small cemeteries the VFW and American Legion visit in our county and there are flags on each veteran's grave.

When I was a little kid, people went to cemeteries around Memorial Day and placed peonies or other flowers on the graves of loved ones.

Years ago. on TV they interviewed people about the meaning of Memorial Day and most had no idea, some saying it was a day off work.

I'm afraid when several more of our old veterans are no longer alive or able to do the cemetery services the younger ones may not follow on with carrying on the patriotic events.

Italiancook
            Participant

When I was a child, my grandmother bought the VFW poppies. As a family, we went to the cemetery, where she put one on the grave of each veteran family member.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.