Medical journal article on sodium in diet

Home Forums General Discussions Medical journal article on sodium in diet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This article in The Lancet suggests that the current recommended sodium levels may be much lower than optimal. The authors also wrote an op-ed piece about this in the Wall Street Journal. It'll be interesting to see what responses it gets.

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

Mike;
        Are you still doing the low-sodium diet? How is that going? I can see that knowing exact amount of sodium needed would be important for people on a restricted diet, but in the real world most people get far too much salt.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It hasn't been too hard, I mainly have to be careful when eating out, my cooking was pretty low-salt to start with.

The Lancet article and the Wall Street Journal article both seem so suggest that 3500 mg of sodium might be the 'sweet spot' when considering long term health trends, but I doubt the US officials or American medical community will change their recommendations on the basis of just one journal article. It may be that high sodium diets by themselves aren't bad for you, but the other things in them (high fat, high carbs, etc) are.

And I've seen fast food meals that exceeded 3500 mg of sodium!

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Interesting article. Also interesting to think that we tend to self-balance our sodium intake to a level between 3000-5000 milligrams.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.