It’s National Hot Dog Day

Home Forums General Discussions It’s National Hot Dog Day

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's National Hot Dog Day. The Trib has a post listing the 23 best hot dog places in the Chicago area, but that only made me yearn for a true Chicago dog with a Vienna beef dog and poppy-seeded bun.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had just 2 on bread for breakfast.

cwcdesign
        Participant

We can’t seem to find good hot dogs. Even brands we used to like aren’t good any more. I miss Kayem from up north. The make Fenway franks which are different (better) than Ballpark franks. I’ve been thinking about trying some of the higher end brands - we don’t eat them that often anyway.

I also miss Portuguese linguica and chorizo - easy to find around New Bedford.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've tried some of the bargain brand hot dogs, they're awful, I'll willingly pay 3 times as much for a brand I can actually stand to eat. I've bought Nathan's, but they seem greasier than most other brands. We buy Fairbury all-beef hot dogs, a local brand. Vienna dogs are better, but unavailable here.

Good corned beef is also challenging to find, and we've learned the hard way that a lot of deli corned beef has garlic in it. If I had a good smoker I could try making Montreal Smoked Meat again, it is sort of like pastrami, though that's like saying a Cadillac is sort of like a Chevy. (Most MSM recipes have garlic in them, but I made some without garlic and it was pretty good.) I've been looking at the Big Green Egg, but the smaller size ones don't get good marks.

Janiebakes
            Participant

We love the ones from Costco, Kirkland brand.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I'm with you, Mike, about cheap hot dogs. Had more than my share of those when I was a kid. I recently bought a package of 365 Everyday Value, Organic, Uncured Grass-Fed Beef Hot Dogs, by Whole Foods. Had one for lunch, I think they're pretty good.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Glad to hear others are having issues. Once upon a time, we liked Nathan's but they seem to have gone the way of others.

Len, if I ever make it to my nearest WF (1 ½ hours away), I'll have to try the 365 dogs - I like the house brand, most everything I've tried has been good.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I have been trying to remember the brand of all-beef hotdogs that I used to buy, but it has been so long that I has forgotten it. I think that they were Ballpark. They came eight to a package, which was nice, as I was fond of Crescent Roll Hotdogs paired with baked beans. I used low-fat crescent rolls and 2% cheese; I tried reduced fat hot dogs, but they were terrible, so it was always the all-beef. (I realize the low-fat crescent rolls were still not nutritionally great.)

The other day, I found a recipe for half hot dogs wrapped in homemade cornmeal wrappings to be used as appetizers. That would be fun to try some day when I have other people around who can eat more of this stuff than I can allow myself.

Lately, I have been dreaming of a Brat on a bun.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Oh yum, BakerAunt - sometimes the photos on the websites make me think I want them too.

Janiebakes
                      Participant

Baker Aunt, Ballpark makes a smoked turkey white meat hot dog that is pretty good. Might see if it is available in your area.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thanks, Janiebakess. I will check and see, although I am not overly hopeful in an area where even finding 2% cheese is difficult.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.