Hurricane Matthew

Home Forums General Discussions Hurricane Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Just thought you would all like to know that the entire Georgia coast is under a mandatory evacuation due to Hurricane Matthew. By this morning the closest hotel available was in Atlanta, so my Mom, Will & I arrived about an hour ago. Nate went inland with a friend from work, so all are safe. The resort closed at noon today and will reopen Sunday at noon.

I hope anyone else near this storm has made plans to stay safe as well. Prayers for all.

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

Carol...I'm so glad to learn that you and family are moved to safety. I have been glued to the weather maps looking for your area and was worried for you guys. Let us know how things go in the next couple of days or so.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We know someone who lives in the outer banks, I suspect they've headed inland already.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I don't know if it's going to do as much damage on the Outer Banks as in past hurricanes. I think they may "only" have tropical storm strength - it's supposed to be down to a Category 1 by the time it gets to Charleston and starts heading out to sea. I hope that's the case for your friends

Italiancook
            Participant

Glad you and yours made it to safety. I hope you find everything AOK when you return home.

cwcdesign
              Participant

We got lucky. By the time the eye was east of Brunswick (we're the barrier islands east of Brunswick), it had wobbled east and passed about 100 miles from us. This was great for us, but unfortunately went straight into the SC coast between Hilton Head and Charleston. For Mike's friends (I hope they are safe), the storm did not turn east as quickly and is going to be at least a tropical storm. It did get downgraded to a category 2 before it passed us.

We should be able to go home tomorrow. They're waiting for the PM high tide because we could still get storm surge. After that it's clean up and hopefully back to normal soon.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thanks for the update. My husband and I have been watching the weather channel but could not tell how badly your area was hit. I hope you and the family are home soon and do not have too much cleaning up to do.

S_Wirth
                  Participant

That sounds like great news, Carol. Hoping that things will be OK when you get home.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

People have been allowed on the mainland but we're getting mixed messages about the islands. Another resort said they were told the earliest would be Weds, but everyone's hoping tomorrow. For those left on the island, reports are that the water never got that high, but there's no power and they're not even letting a few people on. Hopefully, we will be able to get there

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Up in New England it is giving us some much needed rain. It's enough so that soccer was just cancelled which never happens.

Hope the power outages are brief and the clean up goes quickly.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

We're heading back tomorrow morning hoping to avoid some of the traffic. Tonight we'll know when they let phase 2 in, we are phase 3 - residents which should quickly follow. Current issue is getting the waste water treatment system up and going and there is a boil water alert. Our intention is to get back on the island, but we do have a friend we can stay with tomorrow night if we can't.

I just feel so badly for the people in the Carolinas - they got hit so badly and it was never expected to go that way. There were 2 couples from Hilton Head in our hotel and they said Harbor Town was pretty much decimated. The 18th green (for those of you golfers who watch the Heritage) was completely covered with debris. This morning they got news of surging water where it had been dry after the storm had passed.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

We got home today!!!?

S_Wirth
                            Participant

That is such wonderful news, Carol!! Is everything in good shape around your area?

BakerAunt
                              Participant

May you be baking soon.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Lots of trees down. Minimal water damage because the storm went further off shore. The thing that kept us away for so long was that the wastewater treatment pumps lost power so we had to wait til that was clear. Good news no contaminants in the water. The crews have done an amazing job cleaning up. We're all thankful we didn't get the floods around St. Augustine or NC

Some of us were at work today cleaning up. The generators that power the coolers didn't go on - yesterday the back of house (kitchen for the uninitiated) staff went in to clean everything out. I understand it was nasty. Today they brought some us in from front of house to clean everything in the kitchen and do some reorganizing. Tomorrow a few will be going in to get the restaurant ready for service tomorrow night. And, we'll be back at work Friday morning.

Made mac and cheese (baked) for dinner last night. No baking quite yet, but probably be n the next couple of days. No eggs at the market yet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.