Hot Sugar Icing on Cake

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Hot Sugar Icing on Cake

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'd not heard of this technique for creating a crackly sugar crust on a cake::

I think that I'd like more details on just how much water and sugar.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

If you look at the recipe link, it says 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of hot water, which won't be a lot in a 13 x 9 pan, which is why it says to drizzle the water on.

That's also the same ratio as the standard formula for making simple syrup.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I wonder if it would work with an oil-based cake.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

This batter is really thick, you spoon it on and spread it around with a spatula. With a thinner batter, the sugar might start to dissolve into the cake batter. It might still work, but maybe not be as definitive a layer. Waiting until part way through the baking process might work better but be more challenging to do since you're working with a hot pan at that point.

Might be worth some experimenting.

The technique in a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake of pouring a warm frosting onto a hot cake is not very commonly used, most recipes have you wait until a cake is totally cool before frosting it, in large part because the heat would melt the fat in the frosting. It tends to compress the cake slightly, which is what makes it a bit more brownie-like in texture, I assume, and it holds in the moisture that would normally escape as the cake cools.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm tempted to try making this but using frozen peaches instead of pears, which would be reverting to the recipe in the book, more or less.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Would this work on the top crust on a pie?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

It think it probably would work. Some of the water could leak into the pie through the vents, but I don't think that'd bother most pies. A 1-1 ratio of sugar to water is going to produce a relatively thick solution, a 2-1 ratio would produce a slurry.

I've had some cherry pies that might have used this method.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.