Green Bean, Cherry Tomato, and Feta Salad

Home Forums Recipes Green Bean, Cherry Tomato, and Feta Salad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Green Bean, Cherry Tomato, and Feta Salad 4 generous servings
      Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from Edible Michiana (Summer 2018), p. 22, which titled it simply "Green Bean Salad." It is best served slightly warm or at room temperature.

1 lb. green beans, ends removed and snapped in half

1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved if small or quartered if large
      1 cup pitted black olives, halved lengthwise
      1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (may substitute black-eyed peas), drained and rinsed
      2 green onions, sliced (or 2 Tbs. diced shallots)

Dressing:
      1/3 cup olive oil
      1 tsp. Dijon mustard or other brown mustard
      1 Tbs. maple syrup
      2 Tbs. cider vinegar
      1 tsp. Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle blend (or use 1 Tbs. fresh basil or oregano)
      Freshly grated black pepper

Topping:
      ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
      1 cup crumbled feta cheese (preferably goat cheese)

Make the dressing and set aside, next to a large bowl.

Place 2 inches of water in a large pot and bring to boil. Place prepared green beans in a steaming basket. Place basket over the boiling water, cover with a lid, and steam for 5 minutes or until tender.

Place the green beans into the large bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes. Immediately whisk the dressing again and pour it over the hot beans and tomatoes. Toss with spoonula intermittently over the next five minutes. Add garbanzos or black-eyed peas, then olives, then green onions or shallots. Toss intermittently over the next 5-10 minutes.

To serve: Place in serving bowls and sprinkle almonds and feta over each serving.

What I changed: The original recipe calls for cooking the green beans in boiling, salted water. I prefer to steam them. I added the step of pouring the dressing only over the hot green beans and cherry tomatoes, as that allows the beans to absorb the dressing and the cherry tomatoes to get slightly "cooked." The original recipe calls for garbanzos (chickpeas), but for those who cannot eat them, black-eyed peas are a tasty substitute. I replaced 1 Tbs fresh oregano leaves with 1 tsp. of Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle blend. I use green onion rather than shallots. I wait to add the topping until serving, as the feta can get mushy in the dressing and the almonds can lose their crunch. That also allows guests with nut or dairy allergies or vegans to still enjoy the salad by not adding those toppings.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

This is definitely on my to try list! Thanks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.